brand new to guitar

burtvader
burtvader
12/01/2007 12:27 am
Hey everybody. Not only am I new to playing guitar, but also to posting as well! lol What I was wondering was what was more important for an absolute beginner to learn, chords or accuracy. I am in the army and I really dont get the time to find a private instructor so I am doing my best to learn by myself. I really appreciate any help you guys can give. :cool:
# 1
BrokenJera
BrokenJera
12/01/2007 12:39 am
the best answer to give here is both. if you can get your self a beginner guitar book for the most basic stuff like holding the pick and guitar and a few basic open chords. the next is when you practice practice the chords you right/left hand positions and everything else the right way. start slow. after you learn 3 chords or so, practicing switching between them and build accuracy (getting all your fingers inthe right places) then once you have good tech with that work on speeding it up. the most important thing to learn now rather than later is that good technique now will help you learn faster later. and if you have anyquestions do hesitate to stop by here there are tons of people who will help you out. and the lessons here are a good way to get your self on the right path.
They say the END is near, but I'm Tired of waiting.
# 2
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
12/01/2007 1:29 am
Hi Burt - welcome to GT. I am in agreement here with Broken. There's a lot here to help but learn yourself a few chords and then work on switching between them. That will help with your speed and accuracy. It takes time but it'll come. Feel free to ask any and all questions that will pop up. There are plenty of really, really talented people here who will help.

I am a former serviceman myself so I offer you a salute. :)
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 3

12/01/2007 11:23 pm
Chords are really important in the beginning for many reason. One of them is that they will help you gain strength in your hand. You see, the hand muscles are small and playing guitar makes them work in a way the usually never did.

That means in the beginning, you'll really feel it lol

You have to be aware of your body and take a break if you every feel pain. A good burn is ok, pain is not. Don't start playing an hour non stop in the beginning. Like any new training, start with short sessions.

Accuracy will come as your muscles get more and more coordinated but they need to get coordinated while playing the correct form. This is why, as broken said, it's important that you take it slow. Learn the correct positions. Once they're burned into mind and you can recall them anytime, work on speed and accuracy.

You're making your first steps into a wild and fun journey Burt. Feel free to ask us questions as you go along. We'll be there to help you out :)
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.