View post (Something New and Something Old)

View thread

jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
11/20/2007 4:40 pm
Originally Posted by: looneytunesWhen I said that I had no idea of what you were trying to accomplish, I didn't. Now I do. Nothing! You are writing for yourself and if someone gets it or not, you don't really care. This is fine. It's like the poet who writes to just get out his fustrations or over his depression and locks his poems away in a trunk until generations later someone finds them, publishes them, and makes millions. This is fine.

However, my way of THINKING is; if you are going to do something, do it right. If you are going to take the time and effort to write a song, a poem, computer program, or check, do it right!

Everything we do in life has structure. There are rules and laws for how things are suppose to done. True, in some cases when these rules are broken it adds interest, but they always fall back to the basic structure.

It doesn't matter if you plan to sell your song or not. It should contain the basic structure and rules of songwriting, otherwise, its not really a song. I'm not saying these things to hurt your feelings. I am only trying to help you write a better song and one that most people would enjoy listening to.

When I said that I didn't like to think. I was referring to while listening to music. I am an engineer, I think all day long. When I get home I want to relax and not try to analysis what someone may or may not have meant in a song. It should be oblivous, and enjoyable.

I once had a friend that I use to get together with and practice playing guitar. After a few minutes of playing, I realized he could only play G, C, & F chords. I showed him how to play the F chord and started to show him others. He interrupted me and said, "Why do I need to know more chords, I can play all of these songs without learning any others?" He actually refused to learn anymore.

My point is if you refuse to learn anymore about songwriting, that's up to you. Don't expect everyone to change to meet your way of doing things. You need to learn the correct way. Otherwise, you are just putting down a bunch of words that mean something to only you. Some may or may not get it the same way as you. Others will get a different meaning than what you intended, and others (like my idol mind) don't get it at all!

If that's what you want, then fine.

Have a nice day! :)

this dude here reminds of the other guy...whats his name? :rolleyes:

tsk tsk
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]