Blues Improvisation

FrankAxtell
FrankAxtell
11/10/2007 12:10 am
Blues guitar improvisation experiment using a JMP Marshall and Fender Vibro King together.
"Sidewalk Fun"

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=518251&songID=5962011
[FONT=Century Gothic]"study and show yourself approved"[/FONT]
# 1
FingerSpasm
FingerSpasm
11/10/2007 2:05 am
Another song added to my Soundclick Radio station !!
Great Stuff !!
# 2
Spedzar
Spedzar
11/10/2007 11:44 am
Frank that's marvellous as I know I will come to expect from anything you do... I could imagine myself half tanked and listening to you live in some smoky bar and totally relating to every note. You are obviously keyed in to life here and life beyond... And might I say you have a nice blues/rock sensibility for want of a better expression. For anyone else visiting here, make sure you play this jam and get into the feel of things!
Spedzar - "the sound of one hand tapping"...
# 3
FrankAxtell
FrankAxtell
11/10/2007 12:10 pm
Originally Posted by: SpedzarFrank that's marvellous as I know I will come to expect from anything you do... I could imagine myself half tanked and listening to you live in some smoky bar and totally relating to every note. You are obviously keyed in to life here and life beyond... And might I say you have a nice blues/rock sensibility for want of a better expression. For anyone else visiting here, make sure you play this jam and get into the feel of things!

Thanks so much bro...really appreciate the kind words of encouragement. I was listening to Mike Landau Group Live CD and just got really inspired...he is such an incredible player and tone guru! Thanks again!
# 4
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
11/10/2007 1:17 pm
Amazing, simply amazing! I really enjoy this track. Shades of Robin Trower! Love it. Thanks.
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 5
FrankAxtell
FrankAxtell
11/11/2007 2:06 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter60Amazing, simply amazing! I really enjoy this track. Shades of Robin Trower! Love it. Thanks.

Thanks...Hendrix and Trower have always been a great influence to me.
# 6
seazer
seazer
11/17/2007 1:46 am
go Frank,
easy ,sleezy and very greazy,my kind of blues.Has a real Gilmore young lust,the Wall Tone and guitar sounds going on I love it,crusin along then she goes Bang style.
# 7
dvenetian
dvenetian
11/17/2007 10:41 am
Wow...................WOW. Incredible.........
This is my first time listening to your music, I love the Balance created through the improv in tempo to the piece. Expressed Feeling is flowing from all aspects, down to the attention in detail achieving that amazing tone.
The sure signs created by an Artist, compared to a player.
The Trower influence is heard , however, I hear a flair with the improv that reminds me of Frank Marino....
Very impressive..................
# 8
FrankAxtell
FrankAxtell
11/17/2007 3:07 pm
Originally Posted by: dvenetianWow...................WOW. Incredible.........
This is my first time listening to your music, I love the Balance created through the improv in tempo to the piece. Expressed Feeling is flowing from all aspects, down to the attention in detail achieving that amazing tone.
The sure signs created by an Artist, compared to a player.
The Trower influence is heard , however, I hear a flair with the improv that reminds me of Frank Marino....
Very impressive..................

Thanks so much! You put a smile on my face for the day.
I have been tweaking guitar tones for the last couple of months and just stumbled over this one using my Arion SCH-1 chorus pedal along with the Xotic RC booster and BB preamp. I call that pedal the wiggler. Got hip to that old cheap 80's pedal through Scott Henderson and master West Palm Beach guitar tech Steve Siciliano. Both the Marshall and Vibro King are turned up pretty high. You got to crank them to achieve that natural power amp tube compression. On those long sustained notes I kicked in the Carl Martin compressor just for that little extra but off it goes when playing the sixteenth notes. Mike Landau is my main influence when I comes to players of today, but Jimi Hendrix Band of Gypsies is my all time favorite guitar tone album. Thanks again...nice to know some people are aware of good old style Marshall/ Fender tube tone. I have a ton of gear and so far it's still the old stuff that sounds the best...if it's not broke don't fix it!
# 9
FMURPHYFrnky
FMURPHYFrnky
11/17/2007 6:27 pm
Man ,

wow I dig the way you expressed yourself IN ONE PARTICULAR PIECE , OF WHICH THE NAME ESCAPES ME... and as you said "JIMI HENDRIX" , "Band Of Gypsies" WAS ONE OF YOUR , IF NOT YOUR ABSOLUTE FAVORITE ALBUMS... w/ the most political piece ever achevied through a man and an electric guitar , of course I am speaking of "Machine Gun" your track was an excellent expression of styles slightly reminisecnt OF EH , ya know what , it sounded so original despite having flavors of artists which instead of mentioning I'd rather commend you for your originality... kudos BROZEFF !!! getting back to the importance of "Machine Gun" and the one magical version theat seemed to flow through James Marshall Hendrixe's BODY LIKE A VESSELL BEING USED BY A HIGHER POWER... w/IN "Machine Gun" Jimi captures the political change over from peace and love (woodstock generation) right over into the violence and riots (altamont) in the streets that would soon plaugue NIXON'S presidency , (the a$#hole that he was)!!! the violence was captured in the feedback and chicka chicka machine gun like sounds as well as imagining vietnamn vets roaming through the jungle w/ anxiety and chaos as the electric guitar comes down in the dynamics waiting for a violent uprising of feedback and gunfire and explosions , it's all captured so perfectly w/ in a few minutes of JIMI HENDRIXES ABSOLUTE MASTERPIECE "Machine Gun" live at the fillmore east on new yr's eve 1969... i ask you one and all ? have any one of you ever heard the electric guitar used so accurately to describe the violence and portent of things to come w/in the 70's... Hendrix , to my knowledge is the OOOONNNLLLEEE guitar player who was ever able to use his 1000 watts of amplification to describe the end of an era , politically , as well as doing some of the most insanely brilliant guitar solos w/in that piece... I LOVE AND ADORE HENDRIX FOR HIS ABILITY TO SEE BEYOND GUITAR LICKS AND SOLOS IN PLACE OF POLITICAL STATEMENTS... and sorryto take the thunder from you UHHM , I THINK UR NAME IS frank A WELL RIGHT... EXCELLENT PLAYING FRANK... I'M FRANKY M. LET'S CHAT SUMORE SUMTIME BRO... SEEMS WE'VE GOT QUITE A BIT IN COMMON !!!

MY 2 CENTS , Franky M. (ONE HELLUVA Hendrixian)
# 10
FMURPHYFrnky
FMURPHYFrnky
11/17/2007 6:44 pm
Juat wanna add that you also employed some beautifully charged Frank Marino
stuff in "said piece" as well... you're an excellent blues player check out some of my stuff on

www.myspace.com/friffz
www.myspae.com/triphammermetal
www.myspace.com/triphammer95

these sites feature my most metal playing but as of late I'm WORKING ON SOME BLUES PROJECTS , which is where my true heart lies... those myspace sites go back to the early 90's as far as recording... but I'm still mighty proud of TRIPHAMMER and we're also working on a devastatingly heavy album which will peel the paint off of what we've done in the early to mid nineties...

I cannot wait to post some of my blues stuff for one and all to hear...

excellent original guitar stylings FrankAxTell

again Franky M. (METAL HEAD , BLUES PLAYING MANIAC !!!)
# 11
dvenetian
dvenetian
11/18/2007 12:10 am
Originally Posted by: FrankAxtellThanks so much! You put a smile on my face for the day.
I have been tweaking guitar tones for the last couple of months and just stumbled over this one using my Arion SCH-1 chorus pedal along with the Xotic RC booster and BB preamp. I call that pedal the wiggler. Got hip to that old cheap 80's pedal through Scott Henderson and master West Palm Beach guitar tech Steve Siciliano. Both the Marshall and Vibro King are turned up pretty high. You got to crank them to achieve that natural power amp tube compression. On those long sustained notes I kicked in the Carl Martin compressor just for that little extra but off it goes when playing the sixteenth notes. Mike Landau is my main influence when I comes to players of today, but Jimi Hendrix Band of Gypsies is my all time favorite guitar tone album. Thanks again...nice to know some people are aware of good old style Marshall/ Fender tube tone. I have a ton of gear and so far it's still the old stuff that sounds the best...if it's not broke don't fix it!

It's great that you are open and willing to share from your experience. It is a goldmine of information to others also seeking the importance in tone to make a full expression in their feeling.
You have influenced me through your expression. Added to the list with Blackmore, Trower, Ulrich Roth, Johnny Winter, Axtell. Thanks for sharing.
You mentioned The Record Plant, did you meet Rick Stevens? I met him about 12 years ago at The Record PLant, Hollywood location.
# 12
FrankAxtell
FrankAxtell
11/18/2007 12:11 am
Originally Posted by: FMURPHYFrnkyJuat wanna add that you also employed some beautifully charged Frank Marino
stuff in "said piece" as well... you're an excellent blues player check out some of my stuff on

www.myspace.com/friffz
www.myspae.com/triphammermetal
www.myspace.com/triphammer95

these sites feature my most metal playing but as of late I'm WORKING ON SOME BLUES PROJECTS , which is where my true heart lies... those myspace sites go back to the early 90's as far as recording... but I'm still mighty proud of TRIPHAMMER and we're also working on a devastatingly heavy album which will peel the paint off of what we've done in the early to mid nineties...

I cannot wait to post some of my blues stuff for one and all to hear...

excellent original guitar stylings FrankAxTell

again Franky M. (METAL HEAD , BLUES PLAYING MANIAC !!!)

Thanks again...

I listen to Coltrane, Miles, Shorter, Zawinul, Jeff Beck,Tommy Bolin, McLaughlin, Scofield,
Flora Purim and Airto, Ornette, Trilok Gurtu, Scott Kinsey, Scott Henderson and many more...they have all had an impact on my playing.
# 13
FrankAxtell
FrankAxtell
11/22/2007 1:31 am
Originally Posted by: seazergo Frank,
easy ,sleezy and very greazy,my kind of blues.Has a real Gilmore young lust,the Wall Tone and guitar sounds going on I love it,crusin along then she goes Bang style.

Thanks...those old JMP Marshalls can really kick when pushed right. I'm looking to buy another if I can just find one, they seem to be getting harder and harder to find these days.
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.