recording my music

oib111
oib111
11/09/2007 3:40 pm
I really want to start recording my music. It's easy to write down tabs for it on the computer, but I can write that and forget the rhythm, so I like recording it. But I can't figure out how to use Cakewalk Music Creator 3 anymore and last time I tried it I didn't really like it because if I wanted distortion I didn't get it, if I wanted to use my distortion(it has sustain as well) or my wah-wah pedal I can't. So is there any recorder you guys like using for your music that you can suggest to me?
# 1
da_ardvark
da_ardvark
11/09/2007 4:23 pm
It sounds like you are trying to run your guitar straight into the computer?

I recommend a decent mic (shure sm57 ~$70 USD) and mic the amp. Run the mic into the sound card an then you'll have more control of your overall sound. That Cakewalk program should do what you want. There are many other ways to accomplish this. I think there is a usb guitar adapter available. I'm sure there are others who will chime in.
# 2
oib111
oib111
11/09/2007 11:36 pm
Well, I'm sure you record your music. What methods and or programs do you use?
# 3
Superhuman
Superhuman
11/11/2007 8:46 pm
Download 'Reaper' for free - it's THE best package for recording/sequencing/mixing/mastering for under $700 and you can get it for FREE. The most important thing to getting good quality recordings is a good soundcard though... I ue Cubase SX3 becuase I bought it before Reaper became available and I am pretty comfortable with it, I also use a Mackie HUI as my DAW to control the faders and dials in CUbase and run everything through an M-Audio Delta 1010 soundcard. After that the list goes on and on but the core of my system is SX3 and the Delta 1010 (the HUI just helps keep the frustration at bay from having to use a mouse all the time).
# 4
looneytunes
looneytunes
11/21/2007 12:52 pm
I tried many ways of hooking up, recording, programs, etc. to my PC. I finally, found something that has good enough quality for demos.

I use the Lexicon Omega interface preamp. I bought it at Guitar Center for $200. You probably want something less expensive, but I don't think you will be happy with the quality of anything less costly. Cubase LE came with the Lexicon and a rebate coupon for a Shure (something or other) -58 (it's a decend mic). I was trying to use Calkwalk and plugging directly into my computer soundcard. This is not the way to go. You need a preamp for good quality sound from any mic with multiple line-ins.

The Lexicon has 4 line-ins and 2 mic-ins. It has phantom power for condenser mics. You can download several Cubase manuals & tutorials. Cubase is easy to use and has the same capabilities as all the others. You can record up to 24 channels (tracks). You can record one track at time or several at once.

If you want to record the entire band at once, you need to purchase an interface with many more channels. You will need 3-5 mics for just the drummer, not to mention each vocal mic, guitar, keyboard, etc.

But for home recording the Lexicon is great! I don't think you can get a sweeter deal for the money. You may do better on a reburished unit. It would have the same warranty as a new one.

Just a thought.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
# 5
oib111
oib111
11/27/2007 11:03 pm
It's ok I just joined a band, and our manager records us. And I can ask him what he uses.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.