GAS Alert! - November '07

ren
ren
10/30/2007 4:25 pm
GAS Alert! November '07 – Martin DCE Black

Launched at this summer's NAMM show in Anaheim, the DCE Black is Martin's latest addition to their sustainable wood range. It is the first model to feature American poplar back and sides. The top and top bracing are constructed from rescued Sitka spruce – all the woods used in the manufacture of this guitar have been sourced in an ecologically responsible way.

Unplugged, this dreadnought has a full, warm and bright tone. It has an even voice, good projection and excellent sustain. The Venetian cutaway design leaves 14 frets clear of the body, but the higher frets are easily accessible and the cutaway does not have a negative effect on that big dreadnought sound. The DCE just sings – harmonics are easily achievable and ring on and on. This is far and away the best electro-acoustic I have ever played and its response to variations in pick attack really have to be heard to be believed. The DCE is lightweight and body depth is just right, so even a shredder like me can feel at home with it in a short space of time.

They say that the worst a Martin guitar ever sounds is when you first take it out of the box, and if this is true then man is the DCE going to be good as it ages.

The Fishman Aura Pro electronics are awesome, much better than the 'Expression' system on my Taylor acoustic. The Aura Pro maintains the acoustic quality and big sound of the unplugged instrument without making it sound 'electric' like the Taylor system does on the higher strings. To my ear it is perhaps a little bass heavy, but slight adjustment corrected that. The onboard tuner is also a bonus, and seems to be accurate.

To be honest, I picked up this guitar because I've always liked gloss black guitars, acoustic or otherwise... it's a plus that the DCE has been built responsibly. It will come as no surprise that Trey Anastasio of Phish is a high profile user, and in our increasingly environmentally conscious world no doubt many will follow.

The DCE is also available in a natural finish for those into a more classic look. The only criticism on the review model would be a slightly high action, but that's personal preference and easily corrected. Finish was immaculate and I think the DCE is about to put my Taylor on Ebay!

More information and pictures available from http://www.martinguitar.com.

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 1
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
11/10/2007 11:16 pm
This review just confirms my own preference for the Martin. Maybe it's my old school ways but I have been lusting after a nice Martin for a long, long time. I just may have to take a look at this one a little closer! Thanks for the review.
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.