View post (RIP Axemaster 911)

View thread

dvenetian
dvenetian
10/26/2007 6:42 am
Originally Posted by: Kevin TaylorYeah, the pain meds would have a lot to do with it. There's nothing worse than living with chronic pain especially when doctors are unwilling to prescribe medication because they're afraid of lawsuits.
I go through the same thing with my own doctor on a monthly basis.
Constant chronic back pain and I have to sit in waiting room for 2 hours every month just to get 30 tylenol #3...which are totally useless.
No matter how much I beg for more, he won't give them to me even though I'm forced to take 100 tylenol #1 every week just to be able to work on the computer. Doctors are so afraid of lawsuits that they refuse to prescribe even basic medications now. My own mother can barely walk but he won't prescribe meds cause she's over 80 years old. So she downs about 10 Advils a day just so she can get out of bed. It makes no sense at all that a legally available drug like Tylenol #3 is available but doctors won't prescribe it because they're afraid they'll get in trouble with the law.You can't even go to a walk in clinic for tylenol cause they won't give them to you. Even my dentist would only prescribe 14 pills over 3 weeks for a tooth that had to be pulled. It's totally stupid that I can buy 200 tylenol #1 with codeine over the counter but my own doctor or dentist will only prescribe 30 Tylenol #3 to last a month. I'm not surprised that people in constant pain resort to suicide to end the constant pain.

Do you have an option for some type of microsurgery (Microdiscectomy) to possibly correct what's causing the pain, ie., Herniated Disc, etc..........?
The reason Tylenol 3 is prescribed in controlled amounts, is because of mg content of Codeine, which makes this drug an Opiate. Dosage levels of the Narcotic are limited due to the potential of addiction. Tylenol #1 that you purchase over the counter, must have a low mg content of Codeine.
Here in the US, we can't get Tylenol with Codeine without a prescription, (that I'm aware of). Only Tylenol (Acetaminophen) is available "Over the Counter" here.
What makes somewhat of a concern in that Acetaminophen dosage is limited by how much can be metabolized through the Liver. An excessive dosage in a short amount of time doesn't get metabolized, it just causes damage by remaining in the Liver. Drinking Alcohol on a regular basis along with Acetaminophen in the system causes even less getting metabolized, because the Liver needs to function in filtering the Alcohol toxins along with the drug. Since the organs are having to deal with potential toxic build ups in the system, it definitely could deem for the drug as being useless, not being able to process it properly through the system.
It makes sense to me by the same measure that a Seasoned Heroin user being able to inject a dosage that would likely kill me, having never tried the drug. If I took approx. 15 Tyl #1 W/Codeine daily for a week, I'm sure it would have an effect with my system, not having built up a tolerance. Throw in a few Tyl #3's on top of that and it may put me in a coma. I hope there is a surgical procedure available for you to get relief. I can see how the frustration of relying on prescription drugs for temporary relief would not be the best thing. What a Hassle to deal with day in and day out. I would probably try to Drink the pain away, knowing me.........