View post (Which 3 guitarists have most inspired/influenced you?)

View thread

light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
07/26/2008 9:46 pm
Steve Vai definitely is my #1, David Gilmour my #2 and Jimi Hendrix my #3. I think in my original post in this thread I mentioned that I couldn't really narrow it down to just 3.. but when I really think about it these are the 3 that I know have inspired me, may be not influenced.. but definitely inspired. Vai and I have a lot in common when it comes to personality and how we approach music, I am not saying I am the same as him or anywhere near as good as he but after spending some time reading up about him over the years, I have come to realise we are, at least in some part, kindred spirits when it comes to music.

David is still amazing me to this day. I buy the same guitar string brand that he does; I have the same pickups he does and I definitely prefer a strat guitar. I aspire to be as cosmic and spacey as he is when I am soloing over my own stuff and listening to him always inspires me to pick up my guitar and play.

Hendrix.. well.. I just feel he has helped me become confident about myself in places that I was not confident about. Singing, playing rhythm, going crazy (on the guitar) and generally taking ownership of my own music. Though I have to admit that Vai has taken over the role of the latter in recent times.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog