View post (Getting into Jazz)

View thread

Fret spider
Fret spider
10/22/2007 11:33 pm
i would alwatys suggest buy a good book. you need to know the rules before u break them at least thats my opinion.

i have a book called

the contemporary keyboardist buy john novello and yes i know its a keyboard book but it was good to work through. although i didnt get far enough. its brief with the simplest parts of theory but is pretty detailed when it comes to melody harmony and improvisation. its also writen for a jazz and a bit of blues perspective so i would suggest it. it would probably open a few doors for you.

at the end of the day jazz is hard, so if u wanna do it be prepared for a bit of work. and remeber its not enough knowing things theoretically you have to know how thhey sound feel and play and they have to come naturally. tis only comes with practice. but dont completely not think but also dont think to much.

bit of an odd one that las one. just try not to overanylise or get stuck cos the theory says its wrong. theorys a guid. if u ignor it u will sound like crap and if u follow it to religiosly there will be no soul.

again rwemeber the goal of understanding theory is not to go go "i need to play the fith of the chord to give a stong sound followed by a sharp nith for a bit of tension, so thats the fith fret followed by the 7th" its hearing the music and playin those notes naturally. sadly sometimes the only way u can get this is to plow through ith boarin theory, but dont get stuck and also do some ear trainin. the worst way to anylise theory is by fret numbers and the best by ear.

um i realsie that was a bit of a waffle hope it helps though.