GAS Alert! - October '07

ren
ren
10/04/2007 10:47 am
GAS Alert! October '07 ā€“ Digidesign MBox 2 Mini

Pro Tools has long been the computer-based recording system of choice for professionals worldwide. The main stumbling block for home recording use has been the fact that the Pro Tool software is only available bundled with Digidesign and M-Audio hardware interfaces, which up until now have been prohibitively expensive. The MBox 2 Mini is the least expensive way to get into the world of Pro Tools. The 'LE' version of software included is similar to the full 'TDM' used by the big studios. The MBox 2 also comes with standard drivers so it can be used as a soundcard for any software package you care to use, and it will deliver 24-bit/48kHz sound quality.

Features:

ā€¢ Professional sound quality (up to 24-bit/48 kHz)
ā€¢ Two simultaneous analogue inputs and outputs
ā€¢ One XLR analogue input for connecting a microphone
ā€¢ Two 1/4in line-/instrument-level (DI) analogue inputs for connecting guitars, basses, keyboards, drum machines, and more...
ā€¢ Zero-latency monitoring
ā€¢ Compact, rugged metal enclosure for maximum portability and durability
ā€¢ Powered by USB (USB 1.1 connection, cable included)
ā€¢ Front-panel volume control and monitor mute switch
ā€¢ Two 1/4in analogue monitor outputs
ā€¢ Stereo headphone output
ā€¢ 48V phantom power
ā€¢ Kensington Security Lock

The MBox 2 mini connects via USB 1.1 to your PC, and has a balanced XLR socket with switchable phantom power, as well as a pair of 6.4mm jacks which can be adjusted to accept input from a guitar or bass. Monitors can also be connected to these jacks, and a mute function is there as well. The monitored signal can be adjusted with the 'mix' dial to blend wet and dry with no latency to help timing.

The Pro Tools LE 7.3 software offers 32 audio tracks expandable to 48 with additional software, and 256 available for MIDI. An instructional DVD ā€“ 'The Pro Tools Method 1' is also included, making it easy to get the device up and running and start recording straight away. The 'Ignition Pack' is also bundled, which includes 50 popular plugins and additional software which can be integrated. Amplitube LE, SampleTank 2 SE, Ableton Live Lite and Reason Adapted 3 are all there, as are many more.

The palm-sized metal housing of the MBox 2 mini makes it ideal for portable recording, or more likely mixing. The interoperability of LE with the studio version means you can take your work out of the studio and continue at home, or vice versa.

Overall, the MBox 2 mini is a significant improvement over its predecessor, and my only criticism would be it only having a single XLR input... however there are many other hardware options in the range for those who need them. At a street price of $200 US it represents good value or money as an audio interface. Add in Pro Tools LE and all the bundled software, and it's a steal!

Read more about the MBox 2 mini at Digidesign:

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?langid=100&navid=114&itemid=4962

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
10/04/2007 5:09 pm
MSRP of US$329.

Dazza niiize! :D
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Don_Harrington
Full Access
Don_Harrington
Full Access
10/06/2007 4:10 am
Wow, this is - well, so perfectly timed. I'm taking Live Sound Reinforcement and about to start Studio Recording classes and I know everything will be ProTools. This would be just what I need to start getting my own tracks down.

Don H.
:)
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.