View post (Feeling the Song-Writing Blues?)

View thread

looneytunes
looneytunes
12/07/2007 1:32 pm
Originally Posted by: da_ardvarkNot true at all. There are all types of poetry, only some use rhyming.

It may be the type of poetry you enjoy the most, or write, but that statement is like saying all songs have to have a guitar in them.

Pure hog wash on both counts.

It is true that some people believe poetry and song lyrics do not have to rhyme. If this is what you believe that’s fine, however, in most cases, they do. The traditional format and most accepted, is as set forth in Webster’s Dictionary;

Poetry: the art of rhythmical composition, written or spoken, for exciting pleasure by beautiful, imaginative, or elevated thoughts.

Song: a short metrical composition intended or adapted for singing, esp. one in rhymed stanzas; a lyric; a ballad.

Poetry as is in music can detour from the traditional format because it is the writer who sets the rules. It is the writer’s creativity that makes the poem, but you missed the whole meaning of my statement.

I wasn’t questioning whether or not a poem or song should rhyme. I was saying that writing a poem differs from writing a song, because a song has many more ingredients to make it pleasing and interesting to the listener.

Maybe I just wasn’t clear enough. I’m sorry if that’s the case.

Have a nice day!