View post (Feeling the Song-Writing Blues?)

View thread

looneytunes
looneytunes
10/05/2007 4:52 pm
I'm not sure what you mean by "Song Writing". I play guitar, but I am not much of a musician. I do consider myself a songwriter. I find lyric writing comes easy for me. I write the lyrics and then sing while playing chords on the guitar in turn creating the melody. I then work out a few riffs and licks and I have song ready for copywrite.

Then some friends and I get together and next thing you know we have a demo to send off to the publisher. My work differs from most, because I am not trying to promote myself or my friends as artists or performers. I am promoting only the song.

My music is Americana, Country, Bluegrass, Folk, etc. My way of doing things may be different with the music you prefer.

If you are talking about lyric writing is not something you practice to produce lyrics, you are wrong. I practice lyric writing all the time. I may hear something in a conversation that catches my interest and I would write a few lines or even just one line. I save it to my idea folder on the computer for future reference. Down the road if I am writing something and I am stuck for line or idea, I go to my "Ideas" folder and behold! There's the line I was looking for.

I also practice rhyming. I will jot down things and just sit there trying to make them rhyme.

Yes, lyric writing is pretty easy for me. My biggest problem is coming up a tune.

As for something getting old. You can always try doing your own version of the song or changing the tempo or even changing instruments.

Now for working under pressure. It is great practice to work under pressure. It increases your abilities and sharpness. If you are stuck, you do need to take a break (go for a walk, watch some TV, etc) and get away from it for awhile, but do come back. I myself do not have any pressure with song writing. I reuse to sign any contract forcing me to produce any number of songs or even one song in a particular time period. I write a song and when I am finished, they can buy all rights to it or not. I don't really care, of course, song writing is not my only source of income. One who relies totally on songwriting to pay the bills may not be able to take such an attitude.

I could go on for hours, but I have to go for now. I'll come back later to read any replys.