View post (good all purpose mic?)

View thread

Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/30/2007 1:21 pm
Ok here is my 2c. Im not saying anyone is wrong but this is what I'd do.

SM57s and SM58 are great mics, they are very robust and can taker a real punishing. This is why they are used live all the time. However they are used less frequently than large diaphragm condensers (LDCs) in well equipped studios for vocals.

For recording you would only usually SM57s for micking under conditions of very high sound pressure level (like a drum or close micking a cranked map). I have 4 that I use this way.

Normally, the LDCs will give you much nicer vocal recording than SM57s or SM58s for several reasons:

1) it is much ore sensitive which means you don't have to crank the preamp (boosting self noise) to get a reasonable signal level.

2) The frequency response is going to give you a nicer sound however this is dependent on the type of voice you are recording.

I have used SM57s to track my own vocals from time to time however I have a strange voice and it, in this instance sounded better through the 57 than with the other mics I had.

For this reason, Id go with a mixer and get to know the kit you have.

That said, you generally can t go wrong getting an SM57 or an SM58 as you can always find some use for them. Even if it is just knocking out a drummer who wont be quiet !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS