View post (I have no clue how to start writing...)

View thread

looneytunes
looneytunes
10/11/2007 10:29 am
Though I do not consider myself a musican, I do play guitar. I do consider myself as an experienced songwriter. Because I am not a musician, I approach song writing differently from the rest of you. You all have excellent suggestions. I may have a tune or riff that I may want to put in a song, but I record it and keep it until I have the right song. You really need to record it, because in time, you will forget it or at least forget part of it.

I always start my songs with the lyrics and 9 out of 10 times I start with the title. Remember songwriting isn't something set in stone. There are rules, but these rules are broken everyday and become successful songs.

Anyway, I think about the topic. What do I want to accomplish with this song? Then I come up with a title. A great title is very important! It is the first "hook" of any song. That title should be repeated throughout the song. Usually in first or last line of the chorus. The chorus should be repeated at least 3 times during the song. And you should get to the chorus as soon as possible, for this the chorus usually contains the "hook" and sets the tone for the rest of the song. If it is a long song (should be around 3 mins.) or it is becoming a little repetitive, you may want to add a bridge.

By the way, I also think of great titles and lines through my day. They may come to mind from a conversation I overheard, or from another song, or something I seen on the street. This is inspiration! We you get these spells of inspiration, you need to record them as well. I keep a log on my computer of lines and titles I thought up. Then when I get stuck, I refer to them.

I like all my lyrics to rhyme. This too is a rule, but not necessarily fact. The best way to develope rhyming is to practice. Jot down a few lines and each day and put them in ryhme. Not necessarily the song you are wanting to write, but anything. There are many different forms of rhyming. You're rhyme could be 1st and 2nd line, 3rd and 4th, and so on. I do a lot or different forms, but I like the 1st & 2nd, 4th & 5th, and 3rd & 6th to rhyme. to me it's easy to sing and flows well.

There are different kinds of rhymes. There are exact and near ryhmes. Be careful of near ryhmes. They are very acceptable in country and rap, but not so in other music.

Anyway, I get the title and lyrics, then I sing the words. By singing I come up with the melody. I work up the cords and strum pattern from the melody and then add my lick and riffs.

Anyway, that's the short of it. That's how I do it. I hope I have been some help. Sorry, I took up so much of your time.

Good luck and keep trying. You can't accomplish anything unless you try.