Recording Setup - Please Advise

SophieM
SophieM
09/22/2007 3:31 pm
Hi

I am looking to start recording some stuff I have written and various stuff. The problem is that I have no equipment at the moment so I can't.

I have a budget of around £200 - £250. I would like to record and electric guitar, an MIDI Keyboard and various other instruments (clarinet and acoustic guitar mainly). I have no idea how to get all of this stuff to record but I would like fairly decent qaulity.

I would like to record them onto my computer but at the moment I have n software (problem). With the software I don't need pro but I would like to add various tracks on top of each other, cut out stuff and change effects (pretty basic).

As you may have guessed I am pretty clueless so any help as to what to buy???

Thanks
Sophie
# 1
Superhuman
Superhuman
09/24/2007 1:08 pm
Hi Sophie, good news is that you can get realy good software for free - download Reaper here: http://www.cockos.com/reaper/download.php

All you need to get is a soundcard with at least one 1/4" jack to allow you to connect a microphone and/or guitar lead (an XLR connection would be handy too - that will allow you to hook up a proper microphone like an Sure SM58). Check out M-Audio stuff for good quality at reasonable prices - just make sure that the soundcard has a preamp in it that allows you to go direct to your sequencer (so you don't have to go and buy a separate preamp).

A midi keyboard will work with Reaper, all you need is a keyboard that can connect to your pc via USB.

Hope that helps, if you get stuck post back.
# 2
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
09/24/2007 1:48 pm
Well I have a StealthPlug which came with Tracktion and Amplitube 2.0, both are very decent tools straight out of the box and the StealthPlug itself is a direct connection between guitar and USB port.. but cheapest method is to buy the adapter to plug into line-in or mic of the computer's sound-card. Since buying my StealthPlug I have seen better hardware but of course at a much higher price-point
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.