Eurika!!!

EPISODER
EPISODER
09/20/2007 2:47 pm
I used to have trouble performing pinch harmonics, I used a .52 pick for everything and pinch harmonics were achievable, but scarce.

I changed to a medium pick (like .68 or something) and now I can do them all the time! I use my index finger for P.H. though, is this natural?

I figure if it works, it works, but so does flat picking (took me forever to lose that habbit) do you know what I'm talking about? :)
[FONT=Fixedsys]A tout le monde, A tout mes amis, Je vous aime, Je dois partir. These are the last words I'll ever speak, and they'll set me free![/FONT] ;)
# 1
ren
ren
09/20/2007 5:11 pm
As you say if it works, it works. I can't visualise how you'd be holding the pick to get a pinch harmonic with your index... I always use the side of my thumb....

I remember when I first cracked the technique it was hard to stop doing them... :eek:

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 2
Julian Vickers
Julian Vickers
09/20/2007 9:27 pm
Pinch harmonics are probably the raddest thing possible on a guitar. I use a 1.2mm pick, does the job for me.
Miracle Blade 4: Gibs on touch.
# 3
freaksauce
freaksauce
09/23/2007 11:59 pm
Yeah I can't quite understand how you do it with your index finger, I use the side of my thumb that hangs over the side of the pick. When I first tried to learn I had the strangest instruction ever, I was watching the Vivian Campbell instructional video back in 1990 or something and he said you just turn your pick on the side, a 90 degree rotation and pick down, this wasn't very helpful and I had to go to my local guitar shop and ask in there instead! Having said that that would probably be using your index finger for the P.H.?
# 4
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
09/24/2007 9:12 am
I use either my index finger (ie. the 2nd finger) or my thumb.. I find I use my thumb the most but I have no trouble doing a PH with my index finger if the pick is 0.50mm or more..

Basically it's the exact same method as the thumb except in reverse. The picking direction is upward and you angle it towards the left as you pick upwards so that the fleshy part of the index finger catches the string on the way through.. just like the way the thumb method is a downward stroke with a slight angle to the right, so that the fleshy part of the thumb catches the string on the way through.. I think the thumb PH is much more reliable.. but either way works..
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.