inversions

after_shox
after_shox
10/24/2001 1:22 pm
I got this book full of chord inversions. I think it gives 3 inversions for every chord. And theres loads of chords ive never even heard of like "agumented" "13th" etc etc. Do i need to learn all the iversions for every chord ? Also am i right in thinking that a chord inversions is another way of playing the same chord but in a different place of the fretboard so that it sounds the same ? but on my guitar it doesnt sound the same ( probably out of tune or something ) any help appreicated...
# 1

10/24/2001 8:09 pm
Simply put, yes, an inversion is just another way to play a chord. An inversion is when the chord starts on a chord tone other then the root. Example, playing a C chord with the root E.

This would be a 1st inversion, since E is first chord tone in Cmajor that comes after C. A 2nd inversion would yield a G as root. If the chord was, say a Cmaj7 (therefor there are now 4 chord tones), you could do a 3rd inversion which would yield a B as root.

As for whether you have to learn ALL the inversions of EVERY chord... well if you ever do that I will bow to your skills and you will be a Certified Virtuouso. Seriously though, learning inversions of chords is definately a good idea if your into jazz, but for a standard rock player it isn't necessary to have them memerized. However knowing how inversions work and knowing how to make them work for you is a good idea.

Note: I'm not entirely sure that that is how inversions are named (what I said in paragraph two). Could someone confirm?
# 2
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
10/24/2001 11:26 pm

Inversions are actually pretty meaningless on the guitar. Everything is bunched together, and there are repeated notes all over the place.

Take, for example, a D chord in first position -

x

You've got two A notes repeated, two D notes repeated, and an F# all by his lonesome. This doesn't adhere to any of the definitions of an inversion or a triad. It's just a jumble of notes.

So in short, with the guitar, knowing inversions isn't that critical. For piano it is, but not the guitar.
# 3
after_shox
after_shox
10/25/2001 11:29 am
thats cool, it doesnt seem as difficult as it originally seemed, diminished chords are usually just 003221 and augmented 002323 and its just a case of moving the shape up and down the fretboard ( i think ).

i dont really undersatnd what james is saying cause i dont know about roots and complicated stuff like that but hopefully i begin to understand the whole theory of music in time :) thanks...
# 4
skee1
High Bandwidth
skee1
High Bandwidth
10/25/2001 9:28 pm
Originally posted by after_shox
thats cool, it doesnt seem as difficult as it originally seemed, diminished chords are usually just 003221 and augmented 002323 and its just a case of moving the shape up and down the fretboard ( i think ).

i dont really undersatnd what james is saying cause i dont know about roots and complicated stuff like that but hopefully i begin to understand the whole theory of music in time :) thanks...

The 002323 <-is a Diminished chord.
The 003221 >-is a Augmented chord.
You had them backwrds.
Most chords are all movable down and up the fretboard.
But some are not!
The chords obove are called (Melody Chords)
You also have (Inside chord) (Rhythm Chords) (Bottom 4
string chords) (Power chords) (Partial Bar chords ect ect.
A root note can be used to find your chords plus tell,
you what key your playing in.
To be a complete guitarest i mean not just be able to,
play simple power chords.
You should know all of the chord voicings or octaves,
of the chords.Plus know the notes on your guitar!
Learning 1 of each chord voicing=first position of each,
chord would be a good way to start out plus just learn,
your Major chords first then your minor chords second.
Plus take your time don't try to learn them all at once.
The main thing is ask alot of Questions when first ,
starting out !If you don't under-stand something don't,
be afraid to ask other guitar players.
This is very important in becoming a good guitarest.
I do recemend a guitar teacher when first starting out,
but you can learn alot right here on guitar-tricks!

Mark
P:S Ask lots of questions about things you don't understand,
plus practice and read alot but take your time. being,
a good guitarest takes time plus if you really want learn,
fast there's no fast way of learning you have to walk,
before you run.Most impotant have fun!

yours truly Mark Toman
# 5
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
10/25/2001 9:31 pm
this even easier than you think
the root note is the note that in the name of the chord:
for example E's root will be the note E
now simple major or minor chords are build from three notes
and the quality of the chord depends on the third note.
the 2 basic form of chords are:
the root note, 2 tones, which are 4 frets on the guitar from the root, and a 1.5 tones which are 3 frets from the second one, and usualy this note will be the fifth note from the root (in e it would be b). this chord is a major one
to change it to a minor one you should lower the interval between the 2 first notes to a 1.5 tones, and then the second interval will be 2 notes.

"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 6
after_shox
after_shox
10/26/2001 12:13 pm
what are tones ?

in my book it says u need to learn inversions because it will help you find a quicker way to move between chords.
# 7
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
10/26/2001 3:31 pm
tone is a musicial interval which is 2 frets on the guitar
one fret is half a tone

i dont know if you realy need inversions. i never use them, but i know many peope are using them, especialy when they are playing a composition for two guitars and then one plays the standard chord and the second the inversion
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 8
after_shox
after_shox
10/26/2001 6:35 pm
k thanks for the advice, im just mad to learn anything new about the guitar and want to make sure im not missing anything important. What should i be learning/practicing ? i have a good idea of most chords and some figerstyle etc I should probably practice barre chords more, ( i find it very difficult to move from normal chords to barre chords etc but suppose i just need to keep trying :) Im pretty keen to learn fingerstyle alot of songs use it but professionals do it really fast almost like struming. Anyway thanks
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.