View post (How can I get back in to guitar?)

View thread

thesharkfactor
thesharkfactor
09/09/2007 6:32 pm
hi there,

i self taught myself the guitar, i have been playing with passion for over 7 years. i have never had a lesson...until i found this place yesterday!..

i found that i progressed very well by learning to play songs that i liked. i bought guitar tab books for oasis and the stereophonics as those were the bands that made me want to pick up and learn the guitar.

i taught myself to read the tablature (which is explained in the front cover of the books) and away i went.. the books had some easy songs and some hard..so it took me a good few years to be able to play them all exactly note for note....some of which i still struggle with and some i still have a few years to practice with..

others my disagree and have a better method of learning, but this is what worked for me..

my personal, but perhaps wrong advice to you, is find the tab books for the bands you love. persevere and learn to play them by the book....listen to the songs on cd and try where you can to play them exactly like the original artist, this will give you experience in thier unique style of play. the more artists you can try and copy, the more differing styles you will learn..and be able to shape your own unique style when you get to the stage where you can compose/improvise. patience is key, as is practice.

best of luck!

mark