Cool Capo Tricks!

LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/29/2007 6:49 pm
Hi folks-

Just wanted to let you know I just posted a new tutorial on some very easy but slightly unusual ways to use a capo. See how a simple capo setting can create new sounds and interesting harmonies from very basic chords.

Here's the link:
http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=396

Enjoy! - Lisa McCormick, Guitar Tricks Instructor
Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 1
Z Underground
Z Underground
09/03/2007 6:55 am
Hi Lisa,

My name is Chad, I'm 24, from Boston... I just bought an acoustic a month ago, and I wanted to tell you that the site is great and your lessons have really helped so far. I'm getting pretty good with the fingerpicking exercises, and I've been practicing all the major chords and some easy rock songs. I'm at the point where I'd like to start playing some Rock or Blues songs that combine the fingerpicking with the chords... I've looked up chords on Ultimate-Guitar.com but I don't know if they're accurate (or maybe I'm just screwing up the strumming). For example, I've been trying to play Nutshell by AIC for a week, and it just doesn't sound right lol. Any suggestions on songs I could start with or where I could find some good tabs/chords?

Thanks again!

Chad
# 2
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/04/2007 3:25 am
Hey Chad-

You read my mind. I've been conceptualizing a tutorial on "acoustic rock strumming" and hope to put it together soon.

I listened to the song you mentioned, and I hear strumming, not fingerpicking. That may be one reason it doesn't sound quite right to you.

Personally, I tend to be strong in learning songs "by ear", so I do not frequent tab or chord sites. You might try to connect with some other Guitar Tricks subscribers to see what tab and chord sites they like best.

I do think that committing to learning a specific song in the same way that the recording artist plays it is a GREAT way to expand your guitar horizons. Here on Guitar Tricks, the instructors are limited in teaching a specific song due to copyright law. We can teach techniques and influences, but not specific songs that have been copyrighted. That is why my song examples are all traditional folk songs in the public domain. I am hoping my online students will find their way to applying the techniques I teach to whatever songs they wish to play.

One idea I have for you is to take a handful of your favorite guitar songs to an experienced guitar teacher and buy yourself a handful of lessons, saying, "I want to learn how to play THIS SONG". By studying and perfecting another player's techniques, you will become a much stronger player yourself.

Good luck, and keep me posted! - Lisa
Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 3
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
09/04/2007 8:22 am
There used to be this really great site, back in the day, called The On-Line Guitar Archive but, as you will see if you follow the link.... it's been shut down due to legal/copyright issues... Placing full lyrics, chords and tablature of a particular song, or in some cases entire orchestrations of a piece of music, "in its entirety" is against the law unless you have express permission of the composer/owner.. which kinda sucks if you just want a particular piece of a particular song on a particular album/tour by a particular band because chances are the little snippets of music that are allowed to be shown will not have the bit you are looking for... or do not have enough visual and/or audible context to make sense of it. Hence my reliance on learning songs by ear and making up the bits I can't work out myself with something sounds not only good but also original and unique..

I'm all for having the material online but I understand the reason why it's not allowed too... 'nuff said.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 4
ren
ren
09/04/2007 4:00 pm
Download Powertab and then check out http://www.powertabs.net.

I'm with Lisa on learning by ear for a more rewarding experience, but if you need a pointer I've found the submissions on this site more accurate than many others.

A suggestion for an easy tune to fingerpick - 'Wonderful Tonight' by Clapton. Aside from the little riff (which is easy too) all you need to know are the G,D,C and G7 chords from memory and you'll get through the whole song. 'Knockin' on Heaven's door' is also an easy one.

Good Luck... :)

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 5
Fret spider
Fret spider
09/04/2007 10:27 pm
as ren says get powertab. then go to www.ultimate-guitar.com

its pretty good for tabs. and it has powertabs there.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.