View post (Natural talent)

View thread

hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
08/29/2007 9:27 pm
Thanks for the replies. I do wonder sometimes if we don't confuse an ability to learn quickly with natural ability. When I was talking about a 'natural ability' I guess I meant something along the lines of 'Musicians are born, not made' kinda thing. That there is a natural aptitude towards something. I don't know if there is such a thing or if some people just learn certain things at a much faster rate. There are certain things I can learn very quickly and not forget them. Jokes and wise-a** responses mainly but still. I can hear a comedy routine once and be able to recite it almost verbatim. I can read and basically understand most things without much difficulty. It's weird. But the guitar is something very, very foreign to me so I actually have to study it and practice it and read about it and communicate with people who know it...etc. But like Ren said, (paraphrasing here) it makes the things I learn mean so much more to me.

I do know that kids and teens learn things much, much faster than the full-blown adult but that doesn't mean you quit learning as you age. It just means you appreciate learning more as you get older. :)
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]