GT interview - ren - Sept '07

earthman buck
earthman buck
08/26/2007 4:10 pm
Last month I completely missed the deadline for doing the interview. Once I realized this, I sent a PM to ren, saying I was sorry.

"I'm afraid that's not good enough," he said (in what I can only imagine would have been a booming baritone). "I'm getting sick of your little mind-games. You're fired."

"But sir!" I cried. "Surely there must be another way!"

I didn't hear back from him for almost a week, then: "Very well, you insolent worm. You can keep your volunteer job as interviewist if you do next month's about me."

And so it is with a great sense of relief that I present to you....ren.

I know there's a thread like this in Open Discussion right now, but when did you start playing guitar and why?

One of my earliest memories is having a ukelele as a toy and messing with that. Then I saw Eric Clapton when I was eight years old and just wanted to play like him. The classical lessons that followed were not exactly what I had in mind, but they started me on the path that I'm still following 22 years later. I could smoke Clapton these days, but he might still win by a nose on soul!

What is your current setup?

I play Ibanez guitars mostly - a JS1000 and a '91 Radius which is basically the same guitar before it became the Satriani signature but HSS. I've had custom inlay work done on it by Max Cottam and it's the perfect guitar for me. Those are the guitars I use live, but I've got JEMs, RGs, a strat, a tele, a PRS and a couple of acoustics as well. A Morley Wah is next, then Digitech Whammy, a harmoniser, Ibanez TubeScreamer and MXR EQ. I use a TC Electronics G-Major which I'm planning to replace with a G-System, and I have a Line 6 PODxt Live. I've kept every pedal I ever had, so there are loads to mess with when I feel like it...

I use a Laney TT50H amp with 4x12 cab, which is good at low volume too, but I have a Cornford Harlequin for practice. All the cables are Van Damme and power from Voodoo Labs. I use 3mm Dunlop picks and Rotosound strings.

Who are some of your favourite artists to listen to?

I like pretty much any music with a guitar - at the moment I'm listening to Metallica, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, ZZ Top, System of a Down, ... and some Weird Al! I'm not into Death Metal, but I like music heavy most of the time. I get bored by the singer/songwriter stuff that's all over the radio, but more or less anything is OK by me as long as it rocks...

Do you have any particular musical aspirations at the moment?

I keep finding new ones! A while back it was passing exams in performance and music theory but now it's probably to play for more people, and to get my first fully solo instrumental album together by the end of the year. I think I'm pretty lazy in nature so I have to set myself agressive targets to get things done.

Truthfully, now: do you watch Coronation Street?

Er... No... I don't have much time for TV!

Sissy. :)
# 1

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.