Indecision

Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
08/25/2007 3:35 am
Well, Indecision may or may not be one of my problems. :D My whole life, as far as I can remember, and especially with guitar, I always want the best gear and such, in order to emulate the sound someone else created, but still somehow maintain originality. I have been wanting a strat for the longest time, and for the main reason, I want that tone that everyone else gets with a strat. Just tonight it really hit me. I realized, wow, I am always trying to do my own thing, and quite frankly the guitar I have is awesome (1970 Original Fender Mustang) which some people would die to have. I was at guitar center, and I'm glad it happened... for whatever reason, I wasn't too impressed with the tones I was hearing from the guitars I played. I think many other factors cntributed to this, but still, the aftermath stands. I stand In my basement thinking... "hey, I like the tone I'm getting now... Why change to sound like everyone else?" I guess my desire of another guitar was just a cop out for the minor problems I have with mine. One trip to the shop for a tune and she'd be a BEAST! Seriously, it hasn't seen a shop for anything major in over 30 years! I dunno why I decided to tell you guys about this, but I just thought it was kind of a cool experience, that the whole time, I was looking for a setup that I already have. The mustang, while not a strat, reserves some of the fatness and warmth a humbucking guitar would, while that hint (Truckload) of strat-ness remains to cherish with the flip of a switch. Even my $40 Boss super overdrive sounds like I want my OD to sound. It's a cheap pedal and the fender tube amp helps for sure, but I'm kinda making a stand here, and for once in my life, I don't want the best stuff out there. (man this feels weird) Obviously I'll be browsing for a new guitar a few days from now, but I think the mustang's gonna be at my side for a while to come. If you're reading this, then you have determination and are anything but selfish for reading such a long post that's other than your own. Thanks to you.
"Gypsy flies from coast to coast, knowing many loving none." -Allmans

SoundClick Page

Myspace Page (Add Me) (I'm better than you... Or am I :eek: )
# 1
ZakJenkins
ZakJenkins
08/25/2007 3:55 am
Good job!

I often find myself spending more time thinking about having that perfect set up than I am practicing or learning more theory.

Guitars are nice, but being able to play a crappy guitar, and make it sound amazing, that's even better.
# 2
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
08/25/2007 1:12 pm
Originally Posted by: ZakJenkinsGuitars are nice, but being able to play a crappy guitar, and make it sound amazing, that's even better.

Well... the guitar I have ISN'T crappy, so I would hope I could make it sound like I want to. :rolleyes:
"Gypsy flies from coast to coast, knowing many loving none." -Allmans

SoundClick Page

Myspace Page (Add Me) (I'm better than you... Or am I :eek: )
# 3
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
08/25/2007 1:48 pm
You're right. I'm kinda the same way. I look at various guitars and set ups and think 'Man, I would love to have this or that..." and then when I get home and start messing around with the guitars I have, I think, 'I LIKE the way this sounds". Sure, upgrades are inevitable but I think it should be more about your skills as a player as opposed to having the 'right' guitar as a status symbol.

There are a few things I DO want but not because I'm not satisified with the gear I have:

1) A Mexican strat (there is no way I'm paying close to $1000 for an American and frankly, I don't notice that much of a difference)

2) A little tube amp

3) A lower end Martin or Taylor (just because I love the mellow tone)

4) A resonator for slide work.

That's about it. But man, I know what you mean. I have a friend who buys nothing but less expensive, no-name guitars and such. He loves the varied tones he gets from them.
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.