Compressor

Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
08/17/2007 6:49 am
Hey guys. I need advice. I'm about to put a new order in for two more pedals.
One is already a certainty...a Loverpedal vibe.

The other has me undecided. I dont have a compressor and am looking at a Keeley compressor, but I'm worried that I may not need one? I really dont want to spend alot of cash on a pedal that I dont know how to and dont use.

So, please tell me: how important is compression? would I leave it on all the time? or just some times? I know it'll be a very subtle difference, and i'm not sure it'll really be worth it.

any input?
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 1
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
08/17/2007 4:56 pm
I bought a Boss Compressor once....Sold it after about a week. They take all the dynamics out....Dynamics are a big part of my sound, so I can't deal with the compressors.....

It's personal opinion though....what works best for me, won't work best for you and vice versa....

Compressors are good for solos and when using a clean tone....brings everything out evenly.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 2
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
08/17/2007 10:20 pm
What other options do you have in mind? May be if you mentioned something else that we thought was more important to get "first" then we could be more helpful. Or alternatively, what pedals do you already have? And also what style of music do you usually play? and on what type of guitar etc?
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 3
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
08/18/2007 3:04 am
Compressors suck....tone....I hate 'em
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 4
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
08/18/2007 12:41 pm
well lets see.

In my current effects chain I have: Wah, delay, distortion, boost and a tuner. I play this through my Ibanez Thermion (tube)head.

The amp is great, but lacks reverb, so I was thinking of getting a Trex room mate, along with my vibe pedal, instead of the compressor? that or perhaps a flange or chorus of sorts...want some sort of modulator.

I am looking quite keenly at the Fulltone Choral Flange? Or perhaps a Caesar Diaz Tremadillo? I dont know, I just wanna sound good.

From what I'm hearing tho, a compressor doesn't seem to be what I'll get...I must admit that every compressor I've ever tried(including a Trex) sounded a little crap.
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 5
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
08/19/2007 5:13 am
Well.. any effects purchase is really personal preference and what kinda style and tone you are expecting to get from it. Me personally... I would be adding a chorus effect to my selection, if I already had what you have.. especially so, since you mention that the reverb on your amp is not so great.

I feel that a chorus effect, when it's on a slow rate, about 3 or 4 out of 10 when looking at the knobs on the effect pedal, and about 2 or 3 out of 10 for the effect/depth knob.. it gives a really open/spacious/roomy feel to the overall tone.

I personally wouldn't bother with compressors unless you are recording or performing live.. or when it is the style/tone that you need a compressor for.

...but then again... I am no effects guru.. and all of this is just what I would do.. my opinion... rather than potentially good advice.. hopefully someone else with more effects knowledge can shed some light on this thread.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 6
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
08/19/2007 12:44 pm
Here's the deal... you don't HAVE to buy anything. If you're unsure, then why bother with the hastle of returning it, just wait a little while, do some searches for sound clips, (youtube it for demos) and see what happens. Unless someones holding a gun to your head about it, then just let things unfold. It seems you are in need of a reverb though, so just shop around. When you find the right one... buy it. And uhhh... have you tried the holy grail reverbs? Seem pretty good from what I've heard.
"Gypsy flies from coast to coast, knowing many loving none." -Allmans

SoundClick Page

Myspace Page (Add Me) (I'm better than you... Or am I :eek: )
# 7
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
08/19/2007 7:19 pm
well, I am currently in the studio every few weeks, and playing regular live shows with (shameless self promotion ahead) my band Tv IV Dogs... www.myspace.com/tvivdogs or www.tvivdogs.com( although we have nothing there cos myspace is so much better for now...more interactice).

Anyway I've never had any problems with feedback and rubbish rubbish on stage, I'm not sure if thats because I have really nice pickups in all my guitars, because we have a great sound engineer or because we dont often play with much distortion (well, obviously thats a big reason).

Anyway, I know very well to keep my money firmly in my pockets until I know what I want.
I am an effects gearhead and have been through many many stomp boxes and muti-effects, but have never really used, or (in my opinion) needed to use Compression...even on my old Pod XT I never used compression...

My quiery was more to assess whether I should have been using compression all this time or not.

I know I need a reverb pedal at some stage, but even on my previous tube amps with footswitchable reverb, I seldom used it...so maybe not just yet. I want to get something I'll use alot. I use alot of delay and modulator effects, which is why I have myself a very very nice delay pedal...

anyway, I'll look around...pretty keen on the Zvex Tremolo probe. I have a wah probe and couldn't be happier with it.
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.