Crime and Punishment

alucard0941
alucard0941
08/15/2007 11:33 pm
Heh, so after a grueling 3 month summer, I have just finished reading this book for school. I really thought it was a boring book overall with some good philosophical ideas. I don't mean to sound shallow or naive in any way, but the book was a bummer and the storyline failed to captivate me (although I do like the dark atmosphere). Have any of you guys read it, and what do you think? I'm soposed to have an in-class essay on the first day of school (senior year, yay :rolleyes: ) so any key details, themes, symbols ect. in the book that are worth knowing would be greatly appreciated.

and yes, I'm aware that we have a mod thats named Raskolnikov... :p
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 1
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
08/16/2007 11:10 am
Plenty of heavy symbolism and nihilism. Alienation and a feeling of disassociation of the main character and mankind in general. He feels that he is 'beyond' the reach of the normal laws and morays of society.
Plenty of great stuff on the internet about the book. Cliff notes will often outline the symbolism and author intent as well.

Good luck.
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 2
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
08/16/2007 5:17 pm

The Mind Is A Terrible Think To Waste.
# 3
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
08/17/2007 11:51 pm
This actually brought up a question from me. I read The Idiot and absolutely adore that book. Its one of those I'll pick up from time to time and just read parts of it. Then I read The Gambler and well... it was a bit too much for me (I was reading The Picture of Dorian Gary at the same time so the combination kind of depressed me). Well since I like The Idiot is it a fair statement to say that I'd like Crime and Punishment as well?

# 4
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
08/18/2007 12:17 am
Originally Posted by: iihollyThis actually brought up a question from me. I read The Idiot and absolutely adore that book. Its one of those I'll pick up from time to time and just read parts of it. Then I read The Gambler and well... it was a bit too much for me (I was reading The Picture of Dorian Gary at the same time so the combination kind of depressed me). Well since I like The Idiot is it a fair statement to say that I'd like Crime and Punishment as well?

Yes. I would think so. I would also recommend 'Diary of a Madman' by Nikoli Gogol. 'Notes from the Underground' -Dvostoyeski as well. (just for a laugh, follow that up with Woody Allen's parody 'Notes from the Overfed'.
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.