His name is Prince, and he is Funky....

ren
ren
08/15/2007 9:51 am
Went to see Prince on his 21 nights in London show... just amazing. Cracking show - he played mostly old material, and a few of the songs he's written for other people ('Crazy' by Gnarls Barclay for instance).

A very good show. From a guitarists point of view you can tell he's had some time off - all a bit sloppy, especially his picking when he tried to play fast. Waaaaay to much mileage out of trilling with his other hand in the air, but the crowd loved it and that's what he is - a Showman.

His solo on 'Purple Rain' was like the original but stripped down, I guess because he isn't up to it these days, but it was still very tasteful. He played slap bass on stage too, which was pretty cool. Nasty Ego moment at the end when he did 'Nothing Compares to You' as his 4th and final encore, and had the audience singing it to him, but overall a brilliant show.

Now, if only the organisers could figure out that pushing 20000 people through one set of double doors at closing time is a bad idea, the rest of the dates at the O2 should be even better. I'm gonna hit ebay and see if I can get tickets for another night. I'm not a fan as such, but appreciate him as a musician, and the guy knows how to work the stage and a crowd.

If you're anywhere near, go.... apparently every night is a little different, the night before he did a huge acoustic set that went on for another hour I'm told. You get a copy off his new album as well - which I'll report on once I've had a listen... :cool:

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 1
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
08/15/2007 11:01 am
Sounds like a good show. Nice review.
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.