What Pick-ups are in an HSS Strat?

jk_647
jk_647
07/22/2007 7:52 pm
I have a yamaha pacifica. I want to change the pickups to some that have a higher output! The HSS Fender Strat seems to have a good configuration. But every where i look they dont specificly say what pick ups they are! If not these would you recomend other pick ups to go in a pacifica?
I generally play rock and blues!
Why doesn't my amp go up to 11, :(
Spinal Tap Rock
# 1
jk_647
jk_647
07/23/2007 10:07 pm
It seems every where seems to describe them as fender stock pick ups! not to worry ill find a substiute!
Why doesn't my amp go up to 11, :(
Spinal Tap Rock
# 2
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
07/24/2007 8:56 pm
So your pacifica is a HSS setup and you want to switch out the pickups? Correct? I'm not too smart in the pickups field, but search around, its not too hard to track down some pickups. And keep in mind, they dont have to be the same brand.
"Gypsy flies from coast to coast, knowing many loving none." -Allmans

SoundClick Page

Myspace Page (Add Me) (I'm better than you... Or am I :eek: )
# 3
dvenetian
dvenetian
07/25/2007 3:11 am
The HSS (Aka; Fat Strat) has a Stratbucker humbucking pickup and two standard single coil pickups that are controlled with a special switching device.
# 4
andyng
andyng
07/26/2007 7:15 am
Haha! I understand your confusion! Stock pickups are simply pickups which the manufacturers (Fender in this case) endorsed and deemed fit to be fitted together along with their guitar. It can be made by Fender or by other company. Rest assured that since Fender is willing to use these pickups on their guitars, it wouldn't sound too bad.

Regarding your question as to which pickups would sound good for blues and rock, it can be a bit tricky. However, I would go for this pickup configuration:

Closest to neck-----------------------------Farthest from neck
Humbucker(Dimarzio) Single(Lace Sensor) Single(Lace Sensor)

There's a reason for this configuration. Reason being a humbucker in the front position will give you the greatest rock sounding tone. However there's much much more to that! Check out http://guitareffectssecrets.andy-ng.com/14/rock-guitar-sound/ to find out how to get that rock guitar sound. There's also an article under Cat: Guitar pickups on choosing guitar pickups.
Andy Ng is a self taught guitar enthusiast and also a leading expert on the art of building homemade effect pedals. Pick up tips, techniques or just plain guitar talk at his blog!
www.guitareffectssecrets.andy-ng.com
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.