Cleaning the fret board

Kakarot
Kakarot
07/15/2007 1:39 pm
Hi guys

Do you know is it safe to use a household wood cleaner to clean the fret board?

Also, would it affect the fret board if I sprayed your fingers with anti-persperent before shows so they don't get too slippery.

Thanks

Sorry I don't know what section to put this post in. :confused:
http://myspace.com/empyrealdestroyer
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/15/2007 2:36 pm

Do not use any 'household' cleaners or polishes on a guitar!

A lot of them contain silicone. Once you get that stuff on a guitar, its pretty much impossible to remove, which means that any attempt to repair or replace the finish is doomed to failure.

If you take a silicone-contaminated guitar to a shop to have work done on it, you could contaminate the shop, which would then have to replace anything that might have picked up some silicone from your guitar.

Avoid that **** like the plague!

Get some lemon oil and a proper guitar polish. Follow the directions on the bottle. Be happy.

If you use anti-perspirant on your fingers, you will need to clean the fret board more often. Lemon oil, remember? If you're using particularly vile stuff, there is a chance that it will bleach out a dark wood like rosewodd or ebony. It may damage also the finish on the back of the neck. I wouldn't recommend it. Most guitar players have sweaty, greasy, hands by the end of a set. I think its a genetic precursor that always accompanies the 'guitar-playing gene'. Live with it.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2

07/15/2007 3:43 pm
I use Gibson fret conditionner oil and a small toothbrush then clean out the excess oil with a clean cloth. I've never used the others on the pack tho.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Luthiers-Choice-3Pack-Cleaner?sku=420163&src=3SOSWXXH

I was able to restore the freatboard of my SG by using this. The previous owner didn't take care of it and it was in pretty bad shape, very dry and crackling. With time, the fretboard gradually absorded the oil to where now it is all good.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.