View post (Song Help)

View thread

dvenetian
dvenetian
07/13/2007 11:21 pm
Originally Posted by: WeslabaA little bit, seeing as I got those correct. Its just the whole b7 thing just seems off. If its a major scale, then the 7 is normal, so I think it's just that I'm kinda relating everything subconsciously to a major scale/chord. :rolleyes:

You should relate everything from Major because that's where music in the Western World derives from.
Take the G Major scale;
G-A-B-C-D-E-F#...........Key of G
Now take the A Major scale;
A-B-C#-D-E-F#-G#
For "A" to fit in the Key of G, some changes to the A Major scale need to happen;
A-B-(C#)-D-E-F#-(G#),,, C#(3rd) and G# (7th) need to flatten 1/2 step to fit the key; When the note flattens, so does the interval number........
C= b3 and G= b7
The new scale is; A-B-C-D-E-F#-G....(1-2-b3-4-5-6-b7) which now fits the Key of G. Since the A Major scale was altered, it can no longer be called the A Major scale because of the b3 and b7 intervals. The b3 interval causes the scale to become minor and the b7 interval is no longer the leading note to A, it can stand on it's own, where the original 7th would beg for resolve to A.
This new minor scale is known as "A Dorian".
Now take the D Major scale;
D-E-F#-G-A-B-C#
For D to fit in the Key of G, the C#(7th) must flatten 1/2 step to C(b7).
The new scale is; D-E-F#-G-A-B-C...(1-2-3-4-5-6-b7)...The 3rd is present so it's a Major scale, only the b7 interval altered the Leading note (7th).
This new Major scale is known as "D Mixolydian".

Chords are derived from these scales to fit the Key.
Am7= A-C-E-G (A Dorian)
D7= D-F#-A-C (D Mixolydian)
Gmaj7= G-B-D-F# (G Ionian)
Bm7= B-D-F#-A (B Phrygian).....etc.