Tell me why...

educatedfilm
educatedfilm
10/20/2001 10:06 pm
hmmm... Raskinikov you'r really starting to annoy me!!! You keep saying what i want to say! :)...

# 1
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
10/20/2001 10:22 pm
Well, we bassists have to be on top of things. It takes a fast mind to cover for the average guitarist.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
10/20/2001 10:36 pm
More like we're in differnt time zones (6 hours aparts), you get to get to check the forum at the same time as poeple post, and i check it the next morning 18hours later... except right now where it's 11.30 pm, and i'm about to fall asleep...
"It takes a fast mind to cover for the average guitarist"
You cheeky monkey .. :)
# 3
blackrose
blackrose
10/23/2001 3:21 pm
Originally posted by Zeppelin
Originally posted by blackrose

Yes, he was Jewish. Thats a given fact. And if you read the bible (as I already advised), he DID come up with what was new ideas at the time. And his followers only believed what he already had told them...they didnt make it up. You need to update yer sources or something with those crackheaded ideas of yours...

hmm maybe i realy should read it, but i think for the beginning i'll ask you to tell my what are those new ideas

the only different thing between him and other people before him, as far as i know was that he said "im telling you" while the other guys, like moses and eliyahu (i dont know what his english name) said "god tells you to.."

The main new idea was that good works and sacrafice could not send people to heaven, that only a personal relationship with God could.
# 4
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
10/23/2001 8:03 pm
ok..
Thats probably because the judaism (the old testament) is not speaking about heaven at all... this is something that was added later
Anyway it really doesnt matter, because basicly the guy took judaism and said "you are praying the god in the wrong way" or something like did, he didnt tell them that the god they believed in was something else, he didnt tell them to change the way they are praying, or anything else.
i dont want to argue about this anymore, i said my point : christianity is somewhat upgraded judaism, which was supposed to stay as judaism but somehow turned out to be a new religion

"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 5
blackrose
blackrose
10/24/2001 12:36 am
I disagree. I think that it was not meant to stay as judaism. Just for the sake of agreement, though, Christianity and Judaism worship the same God. I will agree with that.
# 6
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
10/24/2001 8:54 pm
"I disagree. I think that it was not meant to stay as judaism. Just for the sake of agreement, though, Christianity and Judaism worship the same God. I will agree with that."

hmmm... muslims see that god sent muhammed to "upgrade" christainity if you will... they worship the same god as christains and jews...

I think christoph may have accidently got his facts wrong... the definition of muslim is someone who believes in one god and gives their cause to this ONE god... this basically means that all of the prophets were muslim (as well as being jewish/ christain), and infact jews would be muslim (christains wouldnt be eligible, as jesus is taken to be second god..oh well, you win some you lose some)... To be honest pre-Isreal, there hasn't been much conflict between jews and arabs (muslims), infact the north african arabs took the jews in with open arms during the spanish inquisition...

Religion is a really tough topic to debate, as the main points rely on blind belife... I mean no one has proved there is a life after death, but that doesn't mean there isn't one... infact, i think having a religion is a safer bet than not having one... cos if your wrong, and there is no after life, you wont know and you wont feel any disapointment or anything... if your right... well, you'll get the heaven you were promised, or the state of Nirvana you seeked to purify you from the pain of desire, or etarnal rest or whatever...
oh well... that's just my oppinion...
# 7
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
10/24/2001 10:57 pm
Originally posted by educatedfilm
I think christoph may have accidently got his facts wrong... the definition of muslim is someone who believes in one god and gives their cause to this ONE god...

I don't know where you get these co-ckamamie ideas. The definition of a muslim is someone who believes that Allah is the one true god, Muhammed is his prophet, and the Quran is his inspired word. Anyone who believes differently is an infidel and deserves to die. This is why they hate Jews, Christians, and everybody else for that matter. Of the six pillars of the Islamic "faith" (Testimony, Prayer, Giving, Fasting, Pilgrimage, and Jihad), the pillar of Jihad is conveniently left out in all popular references. Apparently they don't want to offend us while they're plotting our destruction.

Religion is a really tough topic to debate, as the main points rely on blind belife...

All religions are basically good in the sense that they give people a sense of morality and goodness and provide them a reason for living. However, when a religion, such as Islam, goes against the general good of mankind and advocates killing people, there is no reason for its existence, and it should be eradicated.

# 8
Bardsley
Bardsley
10/25/2001 3:47 am
Oh please... let's start talking about eradicting groups of people of a particular religion shall we? That's rich.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 9
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
10/25/2001 10:07 pm
Christoph:
1) Allah is the arabic word for god...
2) there are FIVE pillars of islam, testifying your belife that there is a god and that mohammed is his prophet, fasting, praying 5 times a day, pilgrimage to mecaa for anyone who has the means and is of able body and mind, and Charity... Jihad is not one of the pillars, even though it is mentioned in the koran..
3) the defination of islam I gave is from a muslim imam, and he said that's why Abraham is a muslim (in the eyes of the muslims)... It's a bit like a doctor, when we say doctor now a days we see someone who's gone to medical school, works in hospital, uses medicine, reliese on a diagnosis prognosis method towards deciding what methods to follow, but hypocraties was the first doctor, and he doesn't really strike too much of a resemblance, but both run on the same principals... so Abraham is kinda the first muslim, but he's not too similar to the modern muslim..
4) muslims belive is god's word, not a representaition, not a translation, just god's word brought down by the angel gabriel...
5) Jihad: I've said this before, Jihad means to do for the sake of god, which includes comunity... It does have a military aspect, and it's governed by 2 ideas... You dont retreat, and you take and treat well prisoners. This means that their warefare has an incredible edge, as it means that opposing soldiers are more likely to give up... Suicide is condemed no matter the cirmumsatnces, but there is reward for patients during difficult time (for those who are pro euthenasia)...
6) Where did you get the idea that muslims believe that "infedels" should die? I think you've been watching too many films... Cos by that policy islam wouldn't have got into countries like malasia, but it has, and it wasn't by force, or by invasion... it was by bright and chirpy traders...
7) Destroy islam? How come when kill 6.5 million jews you are seen as (quite rightly) as a monster, and we still have cemomeration days 50+ years on? and here we have someone advocating the same thing, but it's ok cos it's to another religion...

I'll try to get you some quotes from the koran about jihad... Jihad is no secret, it's a military policy for combatants against combatents, and it's all above board by intrenational law... ANyway can you say the muslim have ever been responsible for a holocaust, pol pot killing fields, Stalins Siberia. I mean come on!!

[Edited by educatedfilm on 10-25-2001 at 06:14 PM]
# 10
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
10/25/2001 10:43 pm
Originally posted by Bardsley
Oh please... let's start talking about eradicting groups of people of a particular religion shall we? That's rich.

I'm just saying that from a purely humanistic, existential point of a view, a religion that goes against the empirically proven values of mankind should be done away with.

It's survivial of the fittest. You liberals like to spout that off when it serves your purpose, but who's to say that it can't apply to religions and civilizations. Usama and all those other nutcases are just mad that the middle east is no longer the center of the world. They had their time, but now is the time for mankind to move ahead and leave behind these primitive religions.

Jihad is not one of the pillars, even though it is mentioned in the koran..

I've studied Islam. Jihad is in the Quran, and it is the sixth pillar. Muslim clerics and people like you always deny it, but it was openly expressed in the early days of Islam. That's how they took over north Africa and central Asia, by invasion and killing people.

Where did you get the idea that muslims believe that "infedels" should die?

It's in the Quran, dude! I've read it. You think Usama Bin Boy kills people for the fun of it? No! . . . he kills people because he believes that it is his duty under the Quran and Allah.

# 11
Bardsley
Bardsley
10/26/2001 7:40 am
Wow, no one has ever said "you liberals" to me, I kinda like it... Actually, I am aware of slightly misquoting you, I guess you are more for getting rid of the religion in the people, not necessarily the people in the religion (though if push comes to shove I guess you would say that sometimes it may be the necessary answer). Also, I am not aware of "survival of the fittest" being a particular liberal ideology, though not being part of any particular club or anything I can't speak for all of us. I am not a big fan of the survival of the fittest idea in any way that I can immediately think of. I realise that it works on a sort of basic level, but that particular side of Darwinism is challenged to an extent, and if I am a bleeding heart lefty I am probably all for large amounts of money being spent on welfare of disabled people and stuff, which is, like, not really in keeping with me saying, like, survival of the fittest and stuff like that y'know, man? *takes a big toke of weed and strums blowing in the wind while looking at pictures of flowers*
Anyway... I definately understand where you are coming from, if Islam (I don't pretend to know anything about it) does advocate killing of others, there is a problem. Relatvism makes sense, but there are points when interfering of cultures is not necessarily being imperialist. However, Christianity survives, because ideals that have gone along with it change, and the bible is interpreted differently. I realise that the BIble says "thou shalt not kill" but it has still been used as justification for mass slaughter (think, crusades), and ill treatment of others. Religious texts, I think, need to be seen more as moral viewpoints of another time, philosophical texts akin to Plato, etc. We take on board many ideals, but choose not to follow other laws, like those ones mentioned in those emails about selling daughters into slavery, not planting two crops in the same field, working on sabbath, and so on. Christianity has moved on, and among more liberal muslim societies (like afghanistan before the Taliban came to power) so has Islam.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 12
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
10/26/2001 3:27 pm
Christoph: Eh? Where does it say that "infidels should die"? I'm afraid you are totally out of line there... I've read a good section of the koran and nothing like that is mentioned...
And the[/b]five [/b] pillars of islam are there becuase they apply to every muslim, and there is a punishment if they're not done... Jihad isn't in this becuase it doesn't apply to women (like the army doesn't let women on the front line) and men of a certain age... it's a policy for soldiers against other soldiers, not muslims against non-muslims...
Sorry to get serious on you, but Chirstoph if your going to say something like that your gonna need proof.. or at least tell us from which "sora" it came from...

"That's how they took over north Africa and central Asia, by invasion and killing people." Eh? They never killed as many poeple as the crusaders, and they didn't force anyone to change their religion (like the spaniards did during the incusition)... Islam spread as far as malasia and indonesia by peaceful muslims...
# 13
blackrose
blackrose
10/26/2001 8:09 pm
the inquisitian always has pissed me off.
# 14
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
10/27/2001 7:54 am
Originally posted by Bardsley
Religious texts, I think, need to be seen more as moral viewpoints of another time, philosophical texts akin to Plato, etc.

Yeah. Like I said, all religions are basically good in that they tell people to be nice to each other and give them a sense of morality. Religion should be reinterpreted to fit the needs of society. An example would be the rise of Protestantism after the Renaissance. The clergy and the nobles were losing their power because of the industrial revolution, and Christianity was redefined accordingly. Religion tends to "evolve" to fit the time period, and we keep the beneficial things (i.e. don't kill, don't steal) and dump the rest. (like stoning people and sacrificing oxen)

The problem is that we have 10-15% of the Islamic community who believe in Jihad and killing infidels and hating America. It really doesn't matter if it's really in the Quran because this is how they have interpreted it.

Where does it say that "infidels should die"?

*Sigh* You're going to make me dig out my copy of the Quran, aren't you? I just hope I didn't trash it . . . Once again, it really doesn't matter if it's really in there. All text can be interpreted in different ways (like everyone has been so quick to point out, the Bible has been used for justification of atrocity in the past), and Usama and his boys all believe that according to the Quran, jihad is their duty. There are passages that talk of war against those who don't believe in Allah and corrupt his teachings, but if I bothered to cite them you would just say, "Oh, you're taking it out of context, blah, blah . . .", but the Muslim fanatics obviously take them quite seriously.

They never killed as many poeple as the crusaders...

Bah! Says who? I'm gunna have to ask for your proof.

...and they didn't force anyone to change their religion (like the spaniards did during the incusition)

So I suppose you hate the Spanish too? Or is it just America that has that honor?

# 15
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
10/27/2001 1:40 pm
the problem is not the religion, but the fact that millions of muslims around the world, dont even know how to read or to write, so they didnt read the koran by themselves and those people are led by crazy guys like bin laden, who are realy insane, and then we have millions of guys who are ready to blow themselves up in any given second in any place, although its against their own religion
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 16
token ethnic guy
token ethnic guy
10/27/2001 2:02 pm
Originally posted by blackrose
Why are there so many groups of people against Jews? Or any for that matter?

I'm not Jewish so I can't say I've experienced anything from their persepctive, but it seems to me not "so manay" (probably best to define what this phrase actually means) are anti-Jewish, just anti-everything except themselves. Plenty of people are being hated. Just a few *generalised* (I believe I can do this since the statement is a generalisation too) examples...

Americans and Japanese
English and Germans
Poles and Russians

Not all of these are two way and don't even get me started on whats going on in Africa and the 20-60 million slavs estimated to be killed by Stalin (before anyone brings up the Holocaust and numbers). Hatred exists everywhere and on every level.

As a final note, I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but I do think religion is a lot of time a good thing. As Marx said, it is the opium of the masses and helps keep them in line (sports, such as football (which I do love), is good version of this for the non-religious). Its either that or having people like Hitler harnessing the longing that people have to belong and using it for a more sinister purpose. Also, don't forget that these guys fighting in the name of religion are just a minority.
Well I've never prayed,
But tonight I'm on my knees, yeah.
I need to hear some sounds that recognise the pain in me, yeah.
I let the melody shine, let it cleanse my mind , I feel free now.
But the airwaves are clean and there's nobody singing to me now.

# 17
blackrose
blackrose
10/27/2001 6:01 pm
The concept of majority vs. minority has just about become obsolete...if a few manical people managed to take control of and crash 4 jets then what do you think a "minority" of a measly few million people fighting for their religion can do as a group. Not to sound paranoid but fact is every single person on earth has the capability to create such a tragic incident as to never be forgotten and people in groups are equally capable.
# 18
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
10/27/2001 6:25 pm
Christoph: heheheh....your happy with what happened during the inquisition? They didn't just slaughter and dirve out muslims, they drove out jews too, and some of those jews took refuge in north africa, where they were taken in with open arms..
I can tell you for a fact, having read the koran in arabic I've never come across such a thing... There is a difference between people mis-inturpriting thier holy book, and the holy book actaully telling them to do it...
I'm afarid there is nothing you can do to stop this (unless you want to live in a society will the richer countries will help the poorer one improve thier education systems, and relive them of their opressors...).
As for the crusaders, look at the muslims history, they took an area and gave poeple the choice of either become muslim or pay additional tax (Jizya), which i admit is like a protection racket, but they didn't kill many poeple, mostly becuase they were the first organised army in the arab world and the poeple fighting them weren't (except for the romans and the persains), so there wasn't much difficulty over comming them, and they stuck to what they were toldm, they didn't kill a civilain, a donkey, or even break a plant...Just have a look at what the crusaders did to the poeple in jarusalem...

# 19
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
10/28/2001 5:32 am
People's preconceptions will always affect how they interpret a series of arguments, data, or whatever. It holds true for you, and it holds true for me. No matter what the other person says, we'll say, "Oh, but what about this other thing . . . the Muslims did that, or America did this." We don't want our beliefs shaken, so we will always find something to support them. It doesn't matter who's right. Maybe no one is. But you and I both know that we're not going to change the other's mind. So on that note . . .

I'm done.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.