View post (The Ultimate Guitar Compendium)

View thread

ren
ren
07/10/2007 10:43 pm
Books I'd rate:

Like Akira - Chord Chemistry and Satch's secrets, for more or less the same reasons. Any book without can be improved with a CD of examples etc. When I first got the satch book I wasn't in a position to imagine what hitting a harmonic with the bar dipped before raising 6 tones, down 2, up 1 and so on - with the audio I'd have stood a better chance.

Maybe random, but another fav of mine is 'Talking Wood' by Andy Manson (UK Luthier for those who don't know). It's more a diary of his life including building a crazy multi-necked guitar/mandolin/thing for John Bonham. All very inetresting - bits on building guitars, bits on playing, love of guitar in general, him playing gigs and then just a Joe waking up and getting on with his day. No idea why it appeals, but it does.

For me now, no book matches my expectation because it will inevitably raise questions it doesn't answer.

The ultimate guitar book would I guess have to include absolutely everything. The basics I guess would be a grade 8 type syllabus for scales / chords / theory etc. For example, this (a 4mb pdf, so only click if you want that!).

After that it would have to break down technique. Legato, Alt/Economy/Hybrid picking, fingerstyle, tapping (up to 8 fingers), sweeping, acoustic stuff (percussive bits perhaps?), muting technique in different situations. The inevitable speed building etc. Diatonic Harmony at least and then maybe onward.

I guess that book would be pretty heavy. Might have to be split into 'foundation' and then style specific modules. I guess as I believe I'll never stop learning, I'd also have to believe that no book could contain all the information...

I guess that didn't help at all...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com