12-bar blues question

adevotedone
Daddy-by-day!
adevotedone
Daddy-by-day!
07/09/2007 12:21 am
Hello, All,

Again, my ignorant question #2 for the night!!

I'm working on one of the tutorials, a novice intro to 12-bar blues in E. In the third lesson, he introduces the structure of the 12-bar sequence:

|E-------|E-------|E-------|E-------|

1 2 3 4 - 1 2 3 4 - 1 2 3 4 - 1 2 3 4

|A-------|A-------|E-------|E-------|

|B7------|B7------|E-------|B7------|

My question is, I thought the 12-bar sequence went: I, I, I, I, IV, IV, I, I, V, IV, I, V, which would require an A in the 10th measure above, rather than a B7. Am I remembering the sequence wrong, or is there more than 1 way to play a 12-bar blues. Chris is my favorite instructor on here, and I'm working on a couple of his lessons. I'm just wondering if I'm missing something.

Thanks for any help or clarification you can offer!!

Peace,
Tom
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" (even learn how to play this silly instrument!! ;) )[/FONT]
# 1
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
07/09/2007 12:26 am
I believe you to be correct. 10th bar should be A
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/09/2007 1:25 am
The direct answer to the question is that you can do it either way. As long as all the people playing the tune are on the same page; changing chords at the same time. You can play the V7 chord for both measures 9 & 10. Or you can move to the IV chord for the 10th measure.

For that matter you could play measure 2 as a IV chord also. Many blues tunes do that one. The point is that you can do it anyway you want. I created that tutorial specifically like that so beginners wouldn't have to deal with too many chord changes. The only changes they have to negotiate are between E5 and A5, and then, E5 and a simple B7. I methodically try to keep what the student has to learn in beginner lessons or tuts under a certain amount. Otherwise it's counterproductive, conceptually & physically.

There are other tuts I did that have the IV chord in the 10th measure. And many other variations for more advanced practicing. While I am on the topic ( :rolleyes: "Here he goes again..."), I got into a discussion about 12-bar blues the other day with a fellow musician.

Most western music from baroque and classical on up through to jazz and pop tunes are more frequently units of 8 measures. So it's more usual to see phrases, sections, phrases, verses, choruses, and so on in 8, 16, 32 measure units. The 12 bar blues is a bit of an anomoly in popular music in this respect.

To those used to hearing and playing it of course it sounds just fine. But there have been many times I've played gigs with guys that are fine, skilled musicians but not accustomed to the 12 bar standard. It was alternately frustrating and comic to be just cruising along through a set and have one of these guys constantly fumbling around missing the turnaround. It seemed like it always happened "too quickly!" for them. :p

In fact at one gig it got so bad that after the bassist goofed up like the 5th or 6th blues tunes of the night I just told him to stop playing on them. Just turn down your volume and play air-bass or take a break. And I played the bass parts and the chords ala Joe Pass. Which was good practice for me.

Anyway, you can play it either way. Just make sure everyone knows exactly which way before you count it off. ;)
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
adevotedone
Daddy-by-day!
adevotedone
Daddy-by-day!
07/09/2007 2:30 am
Thank you so much for your answer! As you can tell, I'm a total noob, so I need to have such things explained to me!!!! I appreciate how quickly you got back to me.

Keep up with the awesome lessons!! I'm learning a ton from you, in both your classical and blues tuts!!

Peace,
Tom
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" (even learn how to play this silly instrument!! ;) )[/FONT]
# 4
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
07/09/2007 4:40 pm
so much for the "walking encyclopedia" label for me :rolleyes:
I thought that might be an alternative but it did not sound as groovy :cool:
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 5
Ian Hand
Ian Hand
07/10/2007 9:15 am
Originally Posted by: adevotedoneHello, All,

Again, my ignorant question #2 for the night!!

I'm working on one of the tutorials, a novice intro to 12-bar blues in E. In the third lesson, he introduces the structure of the 12-bar sequence:

|E-------|E-------|E-------|E-------|

|A-------|A-------|E-------|E-------|

|B7------|B7------|E-------|B7------|

My question is, I thought the 12-bar sequence went: I, I, I, I, IV, IV, I, I, V, IV, I, V, which would require an A in the 10th measure above, rather than a B7. Am I remembering the sequence wrong, or is there more than 1 way to play a 12-bar blues. Chris is my favorite instructor on here, and I'm working on a couple of his lessons. I'm just wondering if I'm missing something.

Thanks for any help or clarification you can offer!!

Peace,
Tom

As you will undoubtedly find out in the other lessons there are many variations on the 12 bar blues theme - even an 8 bar blues!
# 6
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/10/2007 2:16 pm
Originally Posted by: Ian HandAs you will undoubtedly find out in the other lessons there are many variations on the 12 bar blues theme - even an 8 bar blues!

Absolutely! In fact, I recently found a brain-melting vid of jazz legend Oscar Peterson doing his "Eight Bar Boogie Blues" on You Tube.

Holy shredding, Mister Peterson! :eek: That is glorious!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 7
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
07/10/2007 9:39 pm
Looks like he had a few Piano lessons. He gets his left hand from one side of the keyboard to the other side of the keyboard on a new note before his last key can return to the rest position. That's some fast piano playin right there.
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.