Mac Users:

Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
10/16/2001 3:30 am
OS X rules.

It's a hastle to get used to, and not much runs on it natively, but I'm starting to get hte hang of it. Really starting to appreciate the experience.

Just though I'd share.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 1
Bardsley
Bardsley
10/16/2001 3:43 am
Do you have OS X.1? Because my friend had plain X on her computer and it kept crashing constantly. I am looking forward to getting the update though, I have heard lots of good things. Apparently Office fo OS X is really good (yes, I know lots of people don't want to buy Microsoft). Thanks for the suggestion.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 2
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
10/17/2001 1:10 am
I'm using X.0.4. Gonna upgrade in the near futre. IE crashes all the time. AIM for MacOS X crashes occaisionally, but my main beef with it is that it isn't as full featured as the old Mac client. Hopefully this will soon change. The big thing though is that as often as all those applications have crashed (since most everything for OS X is in Beta still) is that the system has not gone down once.

Here, dig a screen shot:
http://fm.redrival.com/macboy/misc/screen.jpg
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 3
musicdude
musicdude
10/17/2001 8:47 pm
I have an imac and i ****in hate it!! It alway freezes and **** . it psses me off. one time it froze with my staind cd in it. i was ready to light the thing on fire.

remember...u cant spell crap without rap

and u cant pell pop without...um...well...op i guess...or maybe po...whatever
# 4
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
10/19/2001 1:11 am
How much software do you have loaded on it? How much RAM? And how full is your hard drive?

The root of all Macintosh evils lie either in Extension conflicts, insufficient RAM, or a hard drive that is too full for it's own good. If you haven't had that thing stuffed to the gills with RAM, you should- the stuff's pretty cheap right now.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 5
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
10/19/2001 5:23 pm
um... I'm a pc user, but i come in peace...
What are imacs like? do you get much range of software? What kinda of ram do they use? etc etc etc...
# 6
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
10/20/2001 12:25 am
iMacs currently come in all kinds of configurations. What you're basicly looking at (with a new iMac mind you) is a fairly average computer. I think they're up to 600 mhz now (PPC mhz mind you), they come with 128 mb or RAM minimum, but they use standard PC 133 RAM. Decent sized hard drive. CD ROM drive on the base modle, CD-RW on the rest... I think you might be able to get a SuperDrive (combonation CD-RW/DVD-R drive) if you order one from Apple.

Anyway, the idea behind the iMac is that it's designed for word processing/internet/mid level computer games. It has no PCI slots so you're limited to RAM and video card upgrades. Expansion is via the USB busses and FireWire busses on higher end modles. It'll run basicly any type of software, though if you were thinking about 3D graphics or any audio/video use, you'de be better off with a G4.

www.apple.com is really the place to look.

[Edited by Raskolnikov on 10-19-2001 at 10:25 PM]
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.