Sci-fi prog metal - need feedback

Superhuman
Superhuman
07/02/2007 12:16 pm
Hi guys,
I'm close to completion on this one and could do with some feedback. Are the samples working or are there too many? I wanted this one to work like a soundtrack to the story created by the samples.
I've added a whole new section to the end and am wondering if it needs a finale or not. I have a section in mind that is about two minutes long and with a different feel to it - more major than minor (triumphal 'call to arms' style riffs and solos) - might introduce a sample or two in this new section to complete the story with mankind fighting back. Let me know what you think of the idea and whether it works or not or whether I should just end it where it is at the moment?
Thanks,

Samples are all written out so you can read along if the sound is a bit rough.
Track: First Contact
http://www.mp3unsigned.com/showmp3.asp?mp3id=47397

PS there is no bass guitar in this yet and I know the mix is not right yet!
# 1
equator
equator
07/03/2007 12:55 am
Wow. The music is great, you did an excellent job mixing the guitars and drums.
The highest peak in the spectrum riches -8 dB, so you can Amplify 1.3 without going to the clipping zone, but to be on the safe side 1.2 should be good enough. That would make your track sound louder which is great for people listening with regular stereo speakers on their desktops or laptop computers.

I really like the theme of the vocals (good story), it goes well with the music; but I think it’d sound better if you place some of the samples before the music starts and then where the breaks are, for instance at the 1:36 to 1:55 mark, also at the 2:38 to 3:12 mark (I know you already have samples there, I’m just pointing out where the breaks are)
The reason I say it would be better to place the samples in the beginning and at the breaks, is because I feel that the vocals take away the attention from your soloing and sounds a little crowded in some parts.
The ending is a little unexpected, maybe fading out from the 4:00 mark would do the trick.

That is just my personal opinion Dave, I wish you the best of lucks.
Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.

# 2
quickfingers
quickfingers
07/03/2007 2:44 am
catchy as all getout... i had to pick up the axe and crank the wicked disto to play along with that. fun stuff....i'll get back to you on actual advice, however. when i have more time to listen to it, i can give a better opinion.
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 3
WrigglerUk
WrigglerUk
07/06/2007 5:34 am
Wonderful! Great concept and execution, really enjoyed listening!

I'd have spaced the samples a little differently, the narrative didn't quite 'flow' in a couple of places, but hell, I was listening to the playing anyway! Triffic.

BTW, hasn't this concept been done before, some little known dude called Jeff Wayne...? Poor effort really... :D
Can you play "Far Far Away?"

Yes - how far would you like?
# 4
cdm442
cdm442
07/07/2007 7:20 pm
the sound was good but the lyrics and volcals were very wierd
I'm complicated, I get frustrated, right or wrong, love or hate it,I'm complicated, you can't sedate it, I've heard that song, but i won't play it, I'm complicated.-Bon Jovi
# 5
longliverock83
longliverock83
07/11/2007 4:23 pm
nice the weird morgan freeman voices kinda threw of the rythem in a good way props dude :)
Rock & Roll will never die.
# 6
leaf
leaf
07/29/2007 5:47 pm
That was AMAZING! love the soloing you guys put into it. I'm a lot more into soft rock (I still widly love music from jazz to death core) but you guys rock! :D
Eat, sleep, and play guitar! :D
Click here to hear my music :)
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.