View post (Books, authors, genres, etc...)

View thread

hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
07/08/2007 1:07 am
Originally Posted by: grizzlymintHow I would've loved to sit and have a cold one or 5 with the man and discuss everything in the world...In order to write the way he did, he had to think that way too. And its nothing short of brilliance. I've found application and relation to myself in the book a few times now, and its just about knocked the wind outa me.

I know what you mean; there are so many authors that I would love to have sat down with and discussed their craft. Steinbeck had such a profound ability to write deep and meaningful prose but in a way that made it interesting reading. It's not like you would have to slog your way through it. I felt a very similar feeling with 'The Grapes of Wrath'. I am really pleased that you're enjoying the book.

I just finished 'Night' by Elie Wiesel which won the Pulitzer in 1986. It's a first hand account of a young man (15 years old) in Auschwitz. Horrifying. Each page just breaks my heart. I am a bit of a history buff and thought I knew a bit about the Holocaust and I suppose I do but nothing I have ever read about the subject before has presented it in such a personal and painful way.

Whew. I think I need to go sit in the dark for a while and contemplate how man can do something so foul and evil to his fellow man. It's beyond comprehension. :(
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]