View post (Books, authors, genres, etc...)

View thread

adevotedone
Daddy-by-day!
adevotedone
Daddy-by-day!
07/03/2007 3:40 pm
Hello, All

OK, feel free to ridicule me to death on this one!!! :)

My All-time fave: The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. I've read them 7 times in the last 20 years, and there are still passages that move me to tears. Wonderful books.

Some honorable mentions:

The Harry Potter Books. Easy reads, lots of fun, and well written. Great for when you want to enjoy the read and not have to think about the social commentary too much.

The Eragon Books (Eragon, Eldest) Again, great reads, I was unable to put them down, much to my wife's consternation (actually, she just waited until I finished and said, "so, now I get my husband back).

For Whom the Bell Tolls by Hemmingway.

Since you mentioned the Creation Evolution book, would you happen to be a Christian? If so, there are a few Christian Authors you may want to check out:

Frank Peretti (The Oath, Piercing the Darkness, Another "the Darkness book that I'm not remembering right now, The Visitation, et. Al.) Fantastic suspense/thrillers, in the vein of Stephen King.

Ted Dekker (Thr3e (an amazing book, the ending will completely floor you), Black, Red and White (a trilogy) et. al)

Randy Alcorn (Dominion, Deadline (crime fiction), The Edge of Eternity (guarenteed to entertain, move you to tears, inspire, and make you think all at the same time, Safely Home (will get you VERY interested in taking a hard look at China).

Well, hope this helps. I'd love to hear some comments from anyone whose read any of these.

Finally, I'd love to know the the title of the Creation/Evolution book that you read. I'm getting interested in studying (on personal time) some apologetics, and I'm not sure if I go for a literal 7-day creation, but would love to read some of the evidence both ways. I know enough about Evolution to know that it is impossible as a theory of origins without the Divine Hand, but don't know much about the alternatives. I would suggest Hugh Ross as a resource for you if you are interested in the origins debate, I haven't read him, but I've heard his name quite a bit, and he is very respected (I believe he takes a gap theory perspective)

Well, that's about it. I look forward to comments.
Peace,
Tom
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" (even learn how to play this silly instrument!! ;) )[/FONT]