The Beatles situation.

mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/15/2001 12:24 pm
I have a problem.
Well, I dont consider it to be a problem but anyway:
I dont like Beatles at all, dont know why.
I havent meat anyone who feels the same. It doesnt
matter what they normally listens to, rock, pop, hip-hop
soul, ska, they like Beatles anyway.

So its kinda lonely in the non-beatles section.
I was wondering if anyone else feels the same about beatles.
# 1
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
10/15/2001 4:09 pm
i used to like them, but know that i've studied music for a while, i don't think they're that great. they're songs are very simple and for other reasons i can't explain either. it's just an inate feeling i have. but i'm with you
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 2
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
10/15/2001 8:57 pm
How can anyone not like the Beatles?

Ive met few people who don't like the Beatles and conveniantly theyre all metalheads. Coincidence?

Best band ever. Barre none.
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 3
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
10/15/2001 9:12 pm
i cant say i dont like 'em but im not of one those guys who hear "let it be" and then start to jump on the floor and scream "oh my god its the beatles"
i mean with all the respect they wrote nice songs
but no one of them could realy play, and i dont like that soft rock kind of playing
im not a metalhead, but i like aggressive approach of the guitar, like jimmy page and others.
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 4
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
10/15/2001 10:03 pm
George Harrison is a great guitarist. So was John actually, everyone assumes hes crap but he actually just had small hands. But cares if they can play great guitar. 2 of my favourite bands are the Beatles and Oasis, not great guitar god driven bands. Do I give a ****? No. Theyre great bands and thats all that matters.
www.gnr.com.ar
# 5
jarviss
jarviss
10/16/2001 1:44 am
im not a FANatic..but i can stand em.
i can put in a cd and listen allthe way thru...
the thing i liked about them is that
SONG was king...
i guess thats how it was back then?
can you imagine if 'shredders' existed along side
the beatles??
LOL

and i guess thats why i kinda like oasis too.
the song is the main thing..not the riffs o' plenty,
not the hair and the jiggly girls...
but simple songs that could possible strike a chord
with the listener...

blah blah blah
:)
-G
yo
# 6
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/20/2001 1:27 pm
I dont hate them or anything.
I jst dont think theyre that good.
# 7
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/20/2001 10:04 pm
Try buying the 'Ultra Rare Trax' or 'Unsurpassed Masters' CD's. They're outtakes of the very first takes off the original studio recordings. It gives you amazing insights into how they composed their songs and how the eventual releases differed from the originals due to George Martins influence... ie, speeding up the recording slightly and adding orchestral arrangements. It's awesome listening to the original intrumental takes of Help or the first version of Strawberry Hill etc.
then seeing how the songs developed over time
# 8
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
10/20/2001 11:36 pm
Strawberry Hill?

I know Strawberry Fields Forever started off as 'It's Not Too Bad' and Ive been told Help was a slow ballad when it started.

Have you got those CD's? Are they in the shops or limited edition or what?
www.gnr.com.ar
# 9
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/21/2001 1:17 pm
oop...sorry, meant Strawberry Fields.
Yeah I got 3 CD's but this was back in 1988 so I don't have a clue if they're still available. The ones I have are Unsurpassed Masters 1 & 2 on Yellow Dog records and Ultra Rare Trax #1 on Swingin Pig Records, dated 1988 and 1989,
....pretty kewl stuff if you're a Beatles fan ... take #1 of I Saw Her Standing complete with talking between takes then the engineer calling off which take it is....flubbed vocals or strings breaking. The best one is Day in the Life with an alterate stereo mix & no orchestra buildup. There's about 12 songs on each CD and most are early takes, instrumentals & alternate versions... even nifty stuff like Ticket to Ride without the fade out at the end so you can tell how the song really ends :)

# 10
after_shox
after_shox
10/26/2001 7:05 pm
as far as im concerned the beatles are the best band that has ever been and probably ever will be. Im not a big fan of their slightly "popy" No1 hits its the alternative stuff they did that really made me notice. Songs like Revolution , I am the walrus, a day in the life, ( the list goes on ) They really made some music people had never heard before, and they really did change the face of music ( even today ) I also think each of the beatles had enormous talent and they went on to show that each with very successfull solo careers ( exp Ringo ) Also look alot alot of john lennons alternative songs ,Instant Karma being my favourite.
# 11
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/26/2001 8:54 pm
That's really weird about Ringo. He played at a small bar just up the street from here about a week ago & it was like it was no big deal. There was just a small mention of it in the local paper. If McCartney had played here it would've been a major event.
# 12
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
10/26/2001 9:28 pm
I dont "get" the beatles and i feel like i'm missing out on something major... I mean they dont sound bad, but for thier reputation i've heard very little to live upto it... "yesterday" is supposed to be a great song, but when i heards it I was shocked that it was cheesy and awful... "I am the eggman", "hey jude" and "come together" are the tracks that i like, but the other stuff, I mean it's not awful, but it has nothing on Hendrix, the doors, Led Zeplin or any of the other greats (musicaly, not how they play the guitar)...
Oh well that's just my oppinion....

[Edited by educatedfilm on 10-26-2001 at 05:31 PM]
# 13
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
10/26/2001 10:47 pm
If you want rockier songs go for Helter Skelter, I Want You(She's So Heavy) or Hey Bulldog. Or I Feel Fine(one of the earliest ever hard rock/metal songs, Kinks - You Really Got Me being the first). Try listening to The Long And Winding Road(first epic ever - first succesful anyway) or Norweigan Wood. Theyre both mad too.
www.gnr.com.ar
# 14
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
10/27/2001 5:44 pm
thank you man... will do... I hope to get back to ya saying how i'm cured from my LLB (lack of love for the Beatels) condition... :)
# 15
stratman42
stratman42
10/28/2001 11:57 am
I DO hate the beatles. i'm not entirely sure why, i think its amixture of them being too poppy and there being too much hype. i hate overhyped things. Like Nirvana. Theyre more my kinda music but i dont like them cos they get hyped and analysed too much. when i hear that it makes me wanna pick out all the bad things about them and disprove everyone. I normally manage it too...
Work hard...Play hard...Break a string...:mad:

Actions speak louder than words...
And my actions speak louder than yours :D
# 16
Hootayah
Hootayah
10/28/2001 2:15 pm
You guys who don't like them though, didn't go through the 60's when they were just about the only inventive band around.
You've got an endless pallette of bands to choose from these days and multiple formats like CD's and Video's and MP3's.
All I had when I was a teen was a little mono record player with a dull needle and 3" speakers.
For me it was save up my money for a month to buy the latest Beatles album and then hearing something like Sgt Pepper, which I'd never experienced before. Then I'd spend a month listening to that one album over and over again. The only other music I heard was top 40 on a transistor radio or my dads old Frank Sinatra records.
You younger guys have so much choice that you never take the time to really savour any one band let alone one record.
Hey you kids! Get outta that Jello tree!! :mad:
# 17
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/28/2001 5:29 pm
Im sure things were hard before.
Yes we do, as you say, have a pallette with different bands and styles.
Ok you think theyre great 'cause there wasnt anything else.
But I had, so I dont know what the big deal is about me not liking them.
On you it sounds like its a bad thing to have many bands to choose from when you grow up, but that is good.
I mean to not have anything to listen to except Sinatra
and later on Beatles, thats sad.

Peace.
# 18
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
10/28/2001 11:24 pm
Alright whats worse:

Having just the Beatles or having MTV etc. shoving commercial pop down your neck 24 hours a day?
www.gnr.com.ar
# 19
Hootayah
Hootayah
10/29/2001 8:59 am
No, what I'm saying is that because we had such a limited amount of music to listen to, we spent hundreds of hours listening and studying to the same record. We learned to appreciate alot of the subleties that you miss because when you have a choice for entertainment today
like getting away to your room away from your parents), you've maybe got a phone, videogames, computer, maybe your own TV with 100 channels.. and hundreds of bands to choose from Napster. I'd go to my room and it was either read a book or listen to the same record. The other thing too is that this was all new stuff. Nobody in the world had recorded music like that before (for instance multiple overdubbing on 4 tracks or hearing the very first moog synthesizer) so it wasnt just a matter of whether they were good or not, it was like, holy crap how did they think of that.

Hey you kids! Get outta that Jello tree!! :mad:
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.