"Round and Round" demo/changing strumming patterns

DerekRaven
DerekRaven
06/25/2007 6:50 am
Hi everybody,

I'm brand new to the site and forum and I hope to get some help with strumming patterns. I realized that I needed to mix up my strumming patterns within a song, but I really love playing a DDUUD pattern (it works well with my songs) or a DDDU, but I can't seem to wander away from these patterns. I also don't know how to change within a song (example: using a different pattern in the chorus from the verse).

I've posted my most recent song on myspace:
Derek Raven Songs

"Round and Round" is the latest demo; I'm getting criticism for the "monotonous" strumming and the use of Major 7th chords (which I really like).

Any advice with how you handle strumming would be very much appreciated.

Here are the lyrics:

ROUND AND ROUND
I watched your plane leave the ground
Heard my words crash like thunder
I walk around in the shadow of myself
It's been days since I sent my love away

I look for you all over town
Round and round and round...
I look for you in the places we once knew

I never said I'd carry you away
Told you to go when I wanted you to stay
...when I wanted you to stay
Now I walk around in the shadow of myself
Its been days since I sent my love away

I look for you all over town
I look for you in the places we once knew

If you have time, listen to "It's No Good"; different strumming pattern, but I don't change it either!!! ...frustrated as all hell!!!

Rock On,
Derek
# 1
jamen
jamen
07/05/2007 8:06 pm
hi and welcome

if you cant get out of your strumming pattern by yourself youll have to either practice the strumming techniques available on this site or practice other peoples songs.
i too only strum a few patterns but i only use the strumming for the rythmn of the song and to get the melody. most of the time i record the strumming on one track then vocals on the next track then turn down the strumming track and then start from scratch with just vocals and melody.
listen to your recorded vocals with your guitar in hand and see what else you can add to the song.
if you just play accoustic i suggest you just learn more patterns cause youll either have to have an awesome rhythmn or melody to get away with one dimensional play
just my opinion though.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.