Locking Tremolo passing thoughts...

Gargy
Gargy
06/21/2007 3:18 pm
I was just thinking about this and maybe some input from somebody else who has doen this before might not be useless...

One of my guitars an Ibanez Pro-Line V 1660, and it came with the junkiest, cheapest, most horrid locking tremolo I've ever encountered. The first thing about it is that since I bought this guitar at a pawnshop for $200 and it looks the part (Stripped screws everywhere especially the locking nut screws, huge paint-chips, etc). Those are all aesthetic though and they don't hurt playability (which is good save for the thick neck joint). The pickups are wild hot, and they are reason enough to keepthis thing.

The biggest problem is that locking tremolo. Its an Ibanez factory model, called the Pro Rock'r, and it sucks so many different kinds of eggs. I had to add extra springs to it so it would sit flush, and I had to put in new locking-nut bolts but they pulled it out of the neck a little bit so now I'm gonna have to repair that... sheesh...

But down to business; do you guys think a Floyd Rose tremolo would be a worthwhile upgrade, or would I be throwing good money after bad?

Edit: Here is a pic (And turn off that stupid flood-control!)

# 1
da_ardvark
da_ardvark
06/21/2007 6:23 pm
If it were me, unless I had the new trem practically given to me, I'd block the trem and not upgrade. Save those stones for your next axe and move up in price/quality
# 2
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
06/21/2007 11:26 pm
Yea, I'd upgrade the guitar instead of the floyd. That way, you get the floyd and better playabilty/sustain (bolt on? yesssshhh!) I did swap out the licensed floyd in my Dean for an orginal though, I can't stand trem bars that you screw in directly with the bar.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 3
Gargy
Gargy
06/21/2007 11:30 pm
Originally Posted by: elklandercc(bolt on? yesssshhh!)

Yeah, you gotta love that neck joint (you can clearly see just how incredibly thick it is). I'll probably just get the cheapest axe with a FR in it (since the pickups in this guitar are really nice and I wouldn't throw them out).

Alright, somebody can lock this thread now
# 4
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
06/22/2007 3:24 am
Well, thats not the best course of action either. You should save up untill you can afford a higher priced one, not so much in the $1000+ range, but the around $700 range. ESP makes some good low end stuff thats in that range, its their LTD stock.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.