View post (Fixing To Buy Guitar, Need Help Quick!)

View thread

Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
10/15/2001 1:52 am
I don't have real player on my computer, so I can't listen, but I can tell you this: I'de stay away from the Tom Delonge Strat because it only has one pickup and no tone control. Basicly what must have happened when he had the guitar made is he said "look, I only use the bridge pickup, and I never use the tone control, so why bother having all the rest of that stuff?"

Which for him is fine. He doesn't do much on guitar. From the sounds of things you want to be a more versital guitarist, so you'll probably want a more versital guitar.

The bottom line is you can get "that sound" out of a wide variety of guitars. Humbuckers (double coil pickups) will help you, but they aren't totally neccessary. You could go for a Fat Strat, or a Double Fat Strat, that Dean I mentioned, even a low end Parker Fly (the $600 model even has a fishman powerbridge so you can get acoustic sounds out of the guitar too), just about any Gibson based guitar (Les Paul, SG, Flying V, etc), or countless other brands. Go to a few shops with a friend who knows guitars, look around, see what grabs your attention.

Also keep in mind that the guitarists you're talking about are playing expensive guitars into expensive amplifiers and nothing in your price range is going to sound the same way.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons