Peter Lindgren leaves Opeth

jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
06/19/2007 10:55 pm
Sorry for starting a second thread within seconds :o, but I thought Opeth fans might be interested...

(From Headbanger's Blog/Metal Hammer: )
After 16 years playing in Opeth, guitarist and co-founder Peter Lindgren has left the band. In a statement, Lindgren said he decided to move on because he no longer feels as excited and creatively inspired being in the band and doesn’t enjoy spending so much time on the road.

“The decision has been the toughest I’ve ever made but it is the right one to make at this point in my life,” he said. “Opeth has worked extremely hard to get where we are right now and in order to persist and maintain the quality of the music, it is necessary that we continue to work hard and always stay focused. But in doing so, it means that we nowadays spend 18 or 19 months on the road and I don’t feel the same enthusiasm for the upcoming world tour that I have felt earlier.”

Band frontman Mikael Åkerfeldt was disappointed by Lindgren’s decision to leave, but insists there is no bad blood between the two.

“Peter and I had been working in this band together for almost half of our lives and we shared some unforgettable experiences together all over the world,” he said. “We will obviously remain friends, and this ‘break-up’ has been on very good terms from both sides. We all wish him the best of luck with his future ventures.”

Lindgren’s position will be filled by ex-Arch Enemy guitarist Fredrik Åkesson, whose first show with Opeth will be in mid-July at the Ilosaarirock Festival in Joensuu, Finland.

“Fredrik was the only name that popped up thinking about a replacement for Peter,” Åkerfeldt said. “In my opinion he’s one of the top three guitar players out of Sweden. We all get along great as we’ve known each other for maybe four years and he already has the experience to take on the circus-like lifestyle we lead as members of Opeth.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I'm pretty disappointed about this, Lindgren is one of my favourite metal guitarists. How do you think Fredrik Akesson will fare? He's a bit of a shred-head, from what I've heard of him.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 1
The Allmighty Zach
The Allmighty Zach
06/20/2007 8:19 pm
One of my all time favorite bands, but Im sad to say that they will never sound the same again. Ive seen them Live twice since Lopez left and It is not the same. I Can't even imagine them without Peter, very sad news :(.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.