http://www.songwritingcompetition.com/
The Mind Is A Terrible Think To Waste.
# 1
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
06/13/2007 9:58 pm
Looks pretty cool, but I'd rather not blow $30 on a contest where my chances of winning are quite slim. :rolleyes:
"Gypsy flies from coast to coast, knowing many loving none." -Allmans

SoundClick Page

Myspace Page (Add Me) (I'm better than you... Or am I :eek: )
# 2
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/13/2007 10:30 pm
Just my own opinion here, but this type of thing is usualy just a scam designed to do nothing but trick people out of their cash.
Sure, there's a contest and there may be prizes involved.. but go buy a bunch of lottery tickets or something because your chances of winning are about the same.
The people running it usually don't really care who wins and will pick whatever is most 'consumer friendly' and will attract more people to the next contest.
So in other words, if you write a Mariah Carey tune and sing like somebody on American Idol...you have a way better chance of winning than doing a guitar tune. And you can completely rule out metal or techno or anything that isn't mainstream stuff you'd hear on the A.M. radio dial.

The initial songs they receive are listened to by relative nobody's who have no knowledge of music. The webmasters daughter... the owners best friend or whoever is willing to do it cheap. They basically say, listen to a few hundred of these and if you like a couple, put them on one side for me honey.

Now your $30 is entrusted to the mind of a 10 year old girl who likes Britney Spears.
If you make it past that step, you might make it to somebody who has some small clout in the business..but not much.
If you've written the most amazing hit song that has ever been written... you might just win.
But now you're screwed because they will sign you to a publishing deal that nobody in their right mind would take... and you take it because hey..you won a contest..oooh.

Now you've won the contest and half your publishing is gone. It's recorded by Mariah Carey who rewrites a couple of words and takes half the writing credit and half the royalties for that. You get treated like royalty by the publishers and record company who give you limosines and all kinds of perks for a few weeks.. and all the while, they're charging you for everything and taking it out of your future royalties.

2 Years from now, nobody remembers who wrote the song. They just assume Mariah Carey wrote it. And now your royalties are about the same amount of money as you'd make on welfare.

Congratulations, you're in the music business.

This type of thing sounds like the old tape scams small record labels used to pull.
Send in your demo cassette tapes. Make sure they're high quality ones.
The record company gets them, throws them in a bin and bulk erases them so they can have a bunch of free blank cassette tapes to sell on the grey market.
# 3
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
06/14/2007 1:30 pm
Good point! Sorry Guys. :(
The Mind Is A Terrible Think To Waste.
# 4
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
06/14/2007 6:39 pm
No worries. You'll never really know a scam unless you go through with it though. There has to be at least one legit music competition out there, you know?
"Gypsy flies from coast to coast, knowing many loving none." -Allmans

SoundClick Page

Myspace Page (Add Me) (I'm better than you... Or am I :eek: )
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.