Custom pickup wiring

SPL
SPL
06/11/2007 11:49 pm
Hi guys.

I just got an Epi Dot Studio, which currently has 2 humbuckers, 1 volume, 1 tone and a 3-way pickup switch, but I'd like to make some changes to have more tone options.

Here is what I want: 2 humbuckers, concentric pot (neck volume+tone), concentric pot (bridge volume+tone), 3-way pickup switch, coil-tap neck, coil tap bridge, and a phase switch.

I've looked at a lot of websites for wiring diagrams, but I can't seem to find this exact configuration. Plus I simple don't understand what exactly series and parallel wiring means.
If anybody could help me out with how exactly to wire this configuration it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

SPL
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
06/12/2007 6:23 am
Drill down through the >DiMarzio< website listings of humbuckers to find the installation wiring diagrams. There are some explanations of what the various options accomplish as well.

In essence:
  • Coil Tap shorts out one coil, turning a humbucker into a single-coil pickup, complete with S-C noise problems.
  • Series connection has the coils connected one-after-the-other. This results in relatively high output, and humbucker noise cancellation.
  • Parallel connection ties the two 'low' ends together and the two 'high' ends together. The output voltage is lower, and the sound is a bit thinner and more clear. Something like a single-coil sound, but retaining the noise-cancelling humbucker benefit.

Any of my guitars that I've installed aftermarket humbuckers in have been set up with Series/Parallel and Phase switching. That gives plenty of options on your sonic palette. Going overboard with switching permutations can often produce a confusing array of combinations, only a few of which actually sound good.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.