View post (Stupid $%#% Windows computers)

View thread

Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/16/2007 3:31 am
Well, I could go on for ever about why Macs are better but it's just a few simple things that do it for me.

Copying and pasting is much more intuitive and a pleasure to use because the command button is closer to the C and V keys than the control button or whatever it is on the left side of a PC.

With a shareware application like CopyPaste I also get up to 11 copies done at once. cmmd-c, cmnd-c-1, cmnd-c-3 etc...
Not to mention the clip recorder which saves endless hours of work.
All copies are also kept in memory even after you shutdown or restart.

There's being able to eject a disc by hitting cmnd-E (or cmnd-y on OS9)
That's a time saver because I can eject a disk and open the tray without having to lift my finger from the keyboard until I'm finished typing.

The menu bar along the top of the screen is about 1000 times more user friendly than the START menu on a pc and it turns off when I let go instead of having to hit the mouse button twice. It's also better laid out, better looking and faster than on a PC. Even the XP running at over 1ghz can't beat my old G3, even when I had only 256 megabytes of RAM.

Restarting or shuttin down is a simple key command... no need to grab the mouse.

Placing locked icons on the desktop with no picture attached let's me keep about 25 of my most used applications within easy reach.

When you put a CD in the drive, it actually shows up on the desktop where I can immediately see that's it's been accepted and can open it up to see whats on it. If it's the wrong one, I hit cmnd-y and while it's ejecting I'm already up looking through my stack of discs again.

Speakable commands is installed on every Mac. All I have to do is speak certain words and can move through a browser, open/close windows, find out the time or date.. basically almost anything you can do with a keyboard and mouse you can do by speaking commands. (an absolute necessity on powerbooks) Hell, I can even have it tell me a random ''knock-knock" jokes or play chess.

Being able to use the Trash on OS9 to sort files. You can drag stuff to the trash all day long.. until you have 500 files in there. Then if you suddenly decide that 100 of them really shouldn't be permanently erased, you highlight them, press cmnd-y and all the files return to exactly where they came from.

The operating system up until 9.2.2 was so superior to PC it was almost laughable. Control Panels and Extensions. So easy to figure out how things worked.

All the startup screen of every application, the menus including key commands, the warning messages... any part of the visual display of any program could be customized however you wanted using ResEdit.
My browser is a "Schmange" browser by MacroSchmange and if I make a mistake it says "hey a**hole..remember that stupid thing you said you'd never do again... well DUH!!!"

CopyPaste, an application I can't do without cause it lets you copy text and assign them key commands.
If I want to copy an entire page of text and use it 2 years from now, I just hiight it, assign a 2 or 3 letter code and that's it. Next time I go to use it I just type the two letters, hit enter and boom, the text is there.

My signature is easy and works in any application, and pastes the date and time automatically..plus I've got several version depending on who I'm writing to..kinda like this

Kevin Taylor
Schmange Music U.K. / Canada
schmange(@)guitartricks.com

Friday, June 15, 2007
23:12:40

... which means I can copy hundreds of links to mp3's, assign them into groups or whatever and then if I'm writing to somebody, instantly paste all the links into the document or add a pics like this

Anyways, there's way more...but I got too much work to do an I gotta finish off with what happened at FutureShop.