Stupid $%#% Windows computers

Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/11/2007 6:22 pm
I'll never buy another one.
I bought a brand new Compaq computer with Windows XP on it just a couple of years ago and it's already toast. Can't even get it started long enough to run the recovery discs cause it's crashed so many times it's corrupted the drive.
You turn it on, it runs for 2 minutes and shuts off again.

Unreal... I've got Mac computers that go back 10 years that I leave on 24/7 and they still work like new but this stupid Windows computer breaks down after less than 2 years.

... and that's my rant for the day. so there...
# 1
earthman buck
earthman buck
06/11/2007 7:16 pm
My school's selling off all the computers it has for $150 each at the end of this week. They're Windows XP with like 40 GB. I'll probably get one, just because that's pretty cheap. I don't really need or want or have the money for one, but hey.
# 2
pure
pure
06/11/2007 7:44 pm
i guess you gotta put into consideration that windows computers are targeted by much much more viruses than macs.

did you update constantly and have good knowledge of windows xp?

and the problem may have been a hardware one.. not a software one..
like some say dont get compaq.. while others say dont get hp.. and others say dont get dell.. acer etc.. personally dell has never failed me..

but i as well had a compaq computer become an expensive paperweight.. for no apparent reason
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks
# 3
pythonusr
pythonusr
06/11/2007 7:52 pm
However, you rant about this Windows PC, but how much did you use it in the past two years? I use Windows Vista to record and did use XP, and they both have worked fine for the past 5 years.

Do you think it might have been the actual computer? Compaq sucks at life and should be burned at the stake for sucking at everything. Macs suck too, but hey. My Toshiba notebook kicks ass.

Get a Toshiba or Dell or Gateway. Macs are great if you're a dumbass and need to be guided through a document by a computer, but Windows are good at everything else.
# 4
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
06/11/2007 9:11 pm
Ummmm. Macs rule. My friend has gone through about 3-4 windows computers since i've known him, and all were either toshiba or dell i think. They all get viruses out the a$$, even after countless virus detectors and whatnot had been put to use. One that I recall would fail to comply with the simplest of tasks. It took a solid 15 minutes for it to start up and open up itunes. This is a less than 2 year old computer here too. I had an iMac that lasted and is still running, after about maybe 8 years i think. Go Mac or go home. :cool:
"Gypsy flies from coast to coast, knowing many loving none." -Allmans

SoundClick Page

Myspace Page (Add Me) (I'm better than you... Or am I :eek: )
# 5
pythonusr
pythonusr
06/11/2007 10:03 pm
Lmao tell him to stay off the pr0n sites, and your computer will be fine. Windows doesn't just make viruses on it's own, you know.
# 6
hunter1801
hunter1801
06/11/2007 10:05 pm
Or you could just build your own computer like I do. Better than getting an overpriced piece of crap like a Dell.
# 7
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
06/12/2007 12:31 am
Originally Posted by: pythonusrLmao tell him to stay off the pr0n sites, and your computer will be fine. Windows doesn't just make viruses on it's own, you know.

:D This is true. H'es got a GF now, so we'll see how that effects his computers life span. :)
"Gypsy flies from coast to coast, knowing many loving none." -Allmans

SoundClick Page

Myspace Page (Add Me) (I'm better than you... Or am I :eek: )
# 8
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/12/2007 3:47 am
Originally Posted by: purei guess you gotta put into consideration that windows computers are targeted by much much more viruses than macs.

did you update constantly and have good knowledge of windows xp?

and the problem may have been a hardware one.. not a software one..
like some say dont get compaq.. while others say dont get hp.. and others say dont get dell.. acer etc.. personally dell has never failed me..

but i as well had a compaq computer become an expensive paperweight.. for no apparent reason

I don't know what the heck the problem is. It defies logic.
I push the button to turn it on... it starts up... then a couple of seconds later it shuts off. Then it starts up by itself again... then just as I'm putting a disc in, it shuts down... then starts up.
Meatime, Windows became corrupt so I'm trying to load in the recovery discs. But every time it gets halfway through loading one of them, the computer shuts off again.
There's no cable shortage and the unit is getting continual power because there's a small green light on the rear of the unit that stays on constantly when it's plugged in.

I even tried tearing the whole thing down and reasembling everything just in case there was a cable loose or whatever, but nuthin.
Even now, it's sitting there for like an hour, then it just starts up by itself.
It might stay on for a couple of hours and then just shut off again.

It doesn't seem to be a loose connection for the power button cause I've played around with it for hours trying a variety of ways to get it to start.
I can hit the power button 50 times and it won't start up.
I go outside. An hour later I come back in, and the computer's on again.
# 9
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
06/12/2007 5:56 am
That sounds like a hardware thermal problem. Check your CPU fan. The processor may be overheating.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 10
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/12/2007 6:10 am
Originally Posted by: LordathestringsThat sounds like a hardware thermal problem. Check your CPU fan. The processor may be overheating.

Ok, thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Dumb question... how the heck do ya open up the case?
I can't see any visible way of accessing the inside.
There's one small plastic screw but undoing it doesn't seem to have any effect.
I can't see any screws holding the case in place either.
# 11
dvenetian
dvenetian
06/12/2007 7:32 am
Usually you can gain access by sliding the right panel back after a slight pry from the connection with the front face panel. After a little nudge the side panel will slide back in it's track.
Are you able to boot up in Safe-Mode? It sounds like there could be a problem with the Registry, by the automatic shutdown. Windows has an automatic Reboot feature by default, designed to recover from sudden power failure.
Sometimes a newly downloaded program can cause a change to the Registry configuration in order for it to run and screws up everything until it's been removed from the system. If you can launch windows in safe mode, check the date that the program was installed Before removing it. After removing it be sure to use earlier dates in System Restore to recover the registry.
Who knows, it might work. Windows is a pain, ( pun intended) it's always something.
Good luck..................
# 12
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/12/2007 7:55 am
It starts up in 'recovery' mode.
Just a blank screen with large white bars at the bottom. Then it says "Compaq" in big red letters, then I get a blue screen for using the recovery discs. There's 6 discs, but the computer keeps shutting down halfway through loading just one of them. (by shutting down, I literally mean the lights go out, the fan powers down and it turns off).
Then I press the big green button on the front of the computer and about half the time it'll turn back on long enough to go through the above process again. Or it'll keep shutting down and starting up.
Or I can press the button 50 times and nothing happens so I give up.
Hours later, it's turned itself back on again.

Basically, Windows is totally corrupt because of the multiple shutdowns so I'm trying to re-install the system software to bring it back to factory settings.
It won't stay on long enough to copy the files from the recovery CD's though.

I actually made it to disc #6 after about 10 hours of messing around... then it shut down and said to insert disc #1 again... so I had to start from scratch.
# 13
dvenetian
dvenetian
06/12/2007 9:03 am
What happens when you push the F8 button right when booting up?
Try pushing the button over and over rapidly, immediately following boot up and see if it helps to access safe mode. If so, choose the option Safe Mode, not the "with networking" or other options. Hopefully it will allow you to boot up and access the control panel by default.
# 14
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/12/2007 9:23 am
...just tried it.
It started up and gave a whole list of things. I scrolled up to 'safe mode', hit enter and the computer shut off. Then it turned back on again.
Then I held F8 down and it shut off again. Then I hit the on button a dozen times and it wouldn't start at all... so I walked away and the second I stepped out of the room, the computer came back on again.
So I walked back and kicked it.
# 15
pythonusr
pythonusr
06/12/2007 10:23 am
Good idea, hunter. I build computers as a hobby, but I also make money off of it. Building computer is a great way not only to make money, but to get the computer that you want that runs the OS that you want.

I have a Dell notebook that is running OS X right here next to me. If you want more info about that, http://www.osx86project.org/ is for you.
# 16
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
06/12/2007 11:25 am
Sounds like there might be a problem with the power supply. Lats' diagnosis is also a very good possibility. The solution might be something as simply as taking the case off and blowing everything out (using one of those air cans). Dust can be a computer killer.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 17
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/12/2007 12:32 pm
hmm... curious.
I opened it up, blew out all the dust, left it open and started it up.
It shut down once, then started up again and has stayed on for over 30 minutes. (the longest it's been on in 3 days). I'm gonna leave it open for awhile & see if it shuts down again. There's no loose wires or connections. No circuit boards wrongly seated etc etc...

So... it seems like I've got it working, but now the recovery discs are corrupted so I've got no working copy of WindowsXP. (the recovery process in safe mode won't complete. it gets to disc #4 and aborts because one of the files is corrupt)

I guess the next step is to see if I can get a pirated copy of WindowsXP (there ain't no way I'm paying for it) or waste money on Vista.
# 18
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
06/12/2007 12:40 pm
I wouldn't go with a pirated version of XP. I'd go with the 2000 version. You can easily find it, and you won't have to worry about any updates testing it to see if it's pirated. It won't be as "pretty" as XP, but it'll run everything as good if not better.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 19
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/12/2007 1:01 pm
man..this majorly sucks the big bean. I already paid for Windows XP when I bought the computer, so legally I'm entitled to a working version of it. Yet, because the manufacturer doesn't include installation discs, I have to go out and buy a new operating system. aargh..
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.