View post (Stupid $%#% Windows computers)

View thread

Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/13/2007 3:34 pm
Just got back from FutureShop so check this out for unreal...

I've got a 3 year extended warranty. The computer shuts down because of overheating and corrupts the Windows operating system. The recovery discs I made were no good because they didn't write properly.

The warranty doesn't cover software. So if the unit overheats and the Windows operating system dies and you don't have a working backup, it's $100 to re-install the system you've already paid for.

Basically, the guy (a typical hard ass type who wants to make things difficult for you and is just aching for an argument) says that I have to leave the computer there to have the hard drive tested.
If it fails the test, they're replace the hard drive and re-install the system software under warranty.
If it passes, I have to pay $100 to re-install Windows.
(one guess on which option is going to happen)

So my take on this:

Why are companies like this?
Ain't no way I'll ever buy a Compaq computer again. Ain't no way I'll ever get an extended warranty or buy any computer from FutureShop again. I'll bad mouth FutureShop and Compaq for the next 30 years because of the hassle they put me through and the attitude I just got from the guy.. costing both companies more money than if they'd just done the decent thing up front and re-installed the system I already bought. (from the spare copy of the operating system they probably have sitting in the back room.)