Getting the sound (Ska)

pythonusr
pythonusr
06/08/2007 7:18 pm
My set-up:
Gibson Les Paul
Digitech RP250 stompbox
and a Line 6 Spider II Amp (30)

Does anyone know of any way to get the perfect (or as near as possible) "Ska" sound? I play a bit of Ska, but my sound sucks when I play live. I want to get as close to Sublime and Streetlight Manifesto as possible.

Any ideas for effects, pickups, and/or settings to change for the sound?

Thanks...

By the way, first post here -- I hope you guys are nice!
# 1
rockonn91
rockonn91
06/08/2007 7:46 pm
oh, we're nice. we're nice and you're gunna LIKE IT. :mad: (jk hee hee hee)

anyways, righteous! I love ska. a disclaimer though- Im more of a bosstones, reel big fish, aquabats guy, so I really dont know the settings that streetlight uses so much, as I dont listen to them on a regular basis. anyways, heres what i can say about strait up ska guitar-

the les paul will be a perfect ska guitar for ya. use the neck pickup. you would think you'd use the bridge to get those high little chords, but no. the neck pickup will give you fuller, more articulate chords. plus, when you stomp on the distortion that'll give you the real full deep distortion that bands like streetlight have.

get a good clean sound on your amp. my personal settings are lows on 6, mids on 7, and high on 8.5. - thats a great clean sound for mine, but it may or may not be good for you.

the thing is, your tone doesn't really matter that much I guess. as long as you're on your neck pup, it'll sound fine. the main thing is the technique- the upstrokes on the off beat, etc... thats whats really easily distinguishable about ska guitar.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 2
pythonusr
pythonusr
06/08/2007 8:15 pm
I love the Aquabats and the Bosstones. I should check out Reel Big Fish... I'm seeing the Aquabats in August.

Anyways, thanks. It already sounds great! Any suggestions got effects with Ska though? Like chorus or anything?
# 3
rockonn91
rockonn91
06/08/2007 10:38 pm
whoah where do you live? the aquabats barely ever come though here.

hmm, as for effects, there really arnt that many. I mean, I bet it would sound cool to do a little phaser effect going or something. chorus could sound cool. I guess just experiment around. Ive always just been strait clean.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 4
pythonusr
pythonusr
06/09/2007 12:27 am
I live in Boston, MA, USA. They're playing at the Avalon Theater August 25.

Yeah Phaser/Chorus sounds nice.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.