Bonnamassa

hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
06/07/2007 11:02 am
Just found out yesterday that Joe Bonnamassa is playing a free concert next Thursday night at the Pittsburgh Arts Festival! I am going to take a 1/2 day vacation and come back into town for the show. Have any of you seen him live? What can I expect? From what I've heard on recordings, the guy can wail. Same in the live performance?
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 1
da_ardvark
da_ardvark
06/07/2007 12:11 pm
I've seen him about 7 times. Met him as well, nice fellow. You can expect in your face blues playing in the tradition of SRV. Always a great show. Too bad I can't make this show :mad:
# 2
ren
ren
06/07/2007 12:54 pm
Yeah - does exactly what it says on the tin. Not my cup of tea, but he's probably playing like Stevie would be if he were still alive... it's SRV evolved. And he's got a sweet tone for the style too.

Definitely worth taking time out for man...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 3
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
06/07/2007 9:29 pm
I was gonna go see him a bit ago, but you had to be 21 to get in the club. And I ain't 21 nor do I look close to it. So that put the nix on that.

Dude, you're lucky though. I've been pushin Jobo's name since aschelman introduced me (us) to him. Anyone I've played it for has loved it.

Have fun and I envy you.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 4
aschleman
aschleman
06/07/2007 11:09 pm
I've seen him a few times and he's awe inspiring.

His style is quite a bit more virtuosic than SRV... He'll go on some modal runs that put him in an arena with Satch and Vai..... People may not agree but he'll never fail to amaze you in the same way that Satch or Vai will. I would prefer a Bonamassa concert to either one of their shows 7 days a week... Because you'll see a lot more than just great guitar playing. You'll see great improvisation, a great vocalist, and a great songwriter/composer.... and the guy is young too.

Speaking of good luck concerts.... Claptons Crossroads Festival is in Chicago this year.... and I just got my tickets in the mail... Hopefully they invite Joe Bonamassa this year....... if they aren't too scared.
# 5
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
06/08/2007 1:00 am
Originally Posted by: grizzlymintI was gonna go see him a bit ago, but you had to be 21 to get in the club. And I ain't 21 nor do I look close to it. So that put the nix on that.

Dude, you're lucky though. I've been pushin Jobo's name since aschelman introduced me (us) to him. Anyone I've played it for has loved it.

Have fun and I envy you.

Dude, you're here in the 'Burgh, right? It's a free show down in Gateway Center. No ID needed my man. Just show up. I'll be there... the screaming and cheering, shaved head idiot in the Hawiian shirt. You won't be able to miss me!!
# 6
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
06/08/2007 1:04 am
Originally Posted by: aschlemanI've seen him a few times and he's awe inspiring.

His style is quite a bit more virtuosic than SRV... He'll go on some modal runs that put him in an arena with Satch and Vai..... People may not agree but he'll never fail to amaze you in the same way that Satch or Vai will. I would prefer a Bonamassa concert to either one of their shows 7 days a week... Because you'll see a lot more than just great guitar playing. You'll see great improvisation, a great vocalist, and a great songwriter/composer.... and the guy is young too.

Speaking of good luck concerts.... Claptons Crossroads Festival is in Chicago this year.... and I just got my tickets in the mail... Hopefully they invite Joe Bonamassa this year....... if they aren't too scared.

Okay, my turn to be envious. I wanted to go to the Crossroads this year but man o' man, those tickets are waaaay out of my budget. You are going to see a killer show. Derek Trucks is playing! Even Willie Nelson is going to be there. Man what a show. Hmmm....that just might be a terrific review for the newsletter...*cough, cough, hint...*

Heck, if it were me, I would send Ren a PM and volunteer to write a review of that show. But hey, that's just me.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.