Gambling licenses

earthman buck
earthman buck
06/06/2007 11:42 pm
My dad and I just got into another crazy argument, this time about gambling licenses. I'm not even going to bother typing it out.

The thing is, though, I don't even know what he was trying to tell me. I was saying gambling licenses don't make a lot of sense, and he said they do, but beyond that I have no idea.

Does someone here who thinks gambling licenses are a logical thing to have want to explain to me why?
# 1
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
06/07/2007 12:53 am
Oviously Gambling can be addictive and cause a lot of misery in people's lives, but at the same time i've known a few older guys who bet small amounts on Horse races two or three times a week, it gives them an interest and a bit of hope, some of them were quite good at it.
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 2
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
06/07/2007 1:22 am
Two schools of thought on that Buck:

1) In an effort to 'regulate' gambling. Your government is trying to look out for you and make sure that all gambling is above board *cough* and legal *snort*... yeah, okay

2) Your government wants a piece of the action. (the more likely scenerio)

Your government does not like it when people are doing something and they are not getting their 'due'. That's what drove them to require licenses in the begining and then they figured 'Hey, there's BIG money in people looking for that one huge score...let's start a state sponsored lottery!" Take a look sometime into the actual amount of money from lottery proceeds that actually makes it to their intended charity or organization. It's amazing.

Just a thought. :)
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 3
earthman buck
earthman buck
06/07/2007 4:15 am
Originally Posted by: hunter60Two schools of thought on that Buck:

1) In an effort to 'regulate' gambling. Your government is trying to look out for you and make sure that all gambling is above board *cough* and legal *snort*... yeah, okay

2) Your government wants a piece of the action. (the more likely scenerio)

That's what I was trying to tell him.

See, it started when I said gambling licenses were dumb (there was some story on the news about a charity poker tournament being shut down because their license was invalid, even though it was later discovered it wasn't). He said "No, it's necessary." To which I said "Why? In this case it's a fundraiser. Do you need a license for bake sales? Of course you #$%@ing don't."

So he rambled on about how gaming laws prevent mobsters from taking over. To which I said "How?"

He said something like "Without gaming laws, the Mafia could just come in and say 'we're breaking your legs if you don't pay up.' " To which I said "They can do that with laws in place, too." And he said "Yeah, but then they'll get arrested."

Me: "So because of the threat of the Mafia doing exactly what they do already without laws in place, laws are created that prevent a certain game from being played? If I wanted a poker tournament in this house, I'd need a license?"

Him: "Well, you can have private poker tournaments."

Me: "Let's say I want to make it public. Let's say I keep an open door for people to come in and gamble."

Him: "Then you need a license."

Me: "But why?"

Him: "So the people who are gambling know they aren't being cheated. The whole thing is regulated, so they're playing by the right rules."

Me: "So I'll put up a sign, that says 'here are the rules for this house of poker...' "

Him: "So what do you do when mobsters come and say 'give us your money or we'll beat the **** out of you?' "

Me: "I call the police."

Him: "But there are no laws regulating gaming. What crime are they committing?"

Me: "They threatened me. That's assault."

Him: "Pfsh, yeah, and when the cops get there they'll arrest you for gaming without a license..."

And so on and so forth, into infinity.

Yeah, it's more of an opinion thing, I guess. I just wish he was capable of putting his reasoning into words, so our debates wouldn't all end with him saying "You're not even listening! You just pick one thing and stick with it!"
# 4
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
06/07/2007 4:20 am
If there's no gambling license, there's no guarantee that your outfit will adhere to its sign reading "these are the rules for" blah blah.

With government regulated gambling, you're a little more assured that the place isn't literally robbing you rather than figuratively robbing you.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 5
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
06/07/2007 10:55 am
Originally Posted by: earthman buck I just wish he was capable of putting his reasoning into words, so our debates wouldn't all end with him saying "You're not even listening! You just pick one thing and stick with it!"

I've always been of the opinion that those who have no argument TALK LOUDLY and/or say something like 'Why can't you listen?' Sounds like he wants to have informed opinions without having to go through that pesky business of actually researching and reasoning out his thoughts. I have people in my family who do the very same thing. Some times I just walk away and at other times, I engage them and see just how far I can push them before they snap and start calling me names.
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 6
da_ardvark
da_ardvark
06/07/2007 12:07 pm
It's official earthman, I've read several of the conversations between you and your Dad. I must witness on of these for myself, what time's dinner :D
# 7
pure
pure
06/07/2007 12:38 pm
lol ur dad just cannot think hypothetical
he thinks just because the licenses are there..
he cant imagine a scenario without them ever existing(or needing 2 exist)
so... in the end, you'll always be wrong for not having a license
ask him what used to go down before the licenses were made

but i do get what he says about no laws about gambling
even if the cops came, say you were gambling(without a license) and they wouldnt kno what 2 do bcuz gambling without a license is as good as betting money and throwing dice on the street...

(even if you're in a nice home with air conditioning and a *promise* that you'll be safe and get what you win.)

a license basically says "you can safely gamble here. you will get what you win and are protected by the law".. according 2 ur dad
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks
# 8
earthman buck
earthman buck
06/07/2007 3:02 pm
I have to thank Jolly...last night he explained to me on AIM everything my dad was probably trying to say. I get it now.
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.