Four wire pick ups?

educatedfilm
educatedfilm
10/10/2001 1:49 pm
I'm planning on bullding my own guitar soonish, and I'm looking into pick ups and wiring at the minute, I know what four wire pick ups do (basically you can turn two sing coil pick ups into a humbucker at the flick of a swith), you get these options:
1)inseries/ out of phase
2)in parralel/ in phase
3)In series/ in phase
4)In parralel/ out of phase
5)Either coil alone (split)

but there was a guitar that had this kind of set up, and you could switch between either coil alone or only two of the other four (i think it was the in phase ones)...
I was wondering could you set your guitar up so you could chose between all five?
Is that nasal sound you get out of some guitar due to the pick ups being out of phase (as i'm not really sure what out of phase pickups mean sound wise)?
# 1
hendrix_jimi
hendrix_jimi
10/10/2001 2:09 pm
If you want some cool ideas for guitar electronics set-ups, check out http://www.guitarnuts.com - they are presented as modifications to Fender Strats, but you could take the ideas and use them to build your own pickup configurations.

From what pitifully minute knowledge I have of electronics in musical instruments (actually, electronics in general), out-of-phase translates to noise reduction. Apparently, in a Fender Strat, pickup switch positions 2 (neck & middle) and 4 (middle and neck) are out-of-phase as a result of the way Fender wires their pickups. And you'll notice that those two positions produce less hum than positions 1, 3 or 5.

(Or maybe I mean in-phase, not out-of-phase?)

Where's Jon68 when you need him?
excuse me, but i must kiss the sky
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
10/11/2001 2:48 am
For some technical background, take a look at: http://www.guitartricks.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=2021
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.