What Just Happened?

ravenx495
ravenx495
05/30/2007 2:07 am
Okay, I'm pretty mad about my Jackson. It's been acting up. I tuned it by unlocking the nut and manualy tuning with the tuning knobs, and not the little knobs on the bridge, which is what I usually use with the Floyd Rose. Once the E and A strings are tuned completely, I lock the first nut. Then I tune the D and G string and lock the nut, and so on. Then, I play for about a week and its fine. Then, my dad picks up the guitar without my supervision and brings it to me saying its all screwed up. It seems like it switched from EADGBE to EbEbDGbBEb in one second. I retuned the same way and started playing it. 5 minutes later the same exact thing happened. I'm planning on taking it to a music store, but is there anything I can do to prevent this from ever happening?
Like a phoenix rising from the flames...

...so shall the epic journey unfold as we discover our ancient future and craft legends through fire and flight.

This is a night of trance...
# 1
Poontang_clan
Poontang_clan
05/30/2007 2:35 am
you have to have all the strings in tune at th same time before you lock the nut because if you lock it when E and A are in tune then tighten any other string the bridge will rise making the strings loose therefore putting them out of tune
"We forgot to call Dylan" "Who the F*ck is Dylan?" "oh, I mean xDylanx" " oh yea we forgot to call him"
# 2
ravenx495
ravenx495
05/30/2007 3:11 pm
okay ill try that thanx for the help im new to the floyd rose system it's my first floyd rose guitar.
Like a phoenix rising from the flames...

...so shall the epic journey unfold as we discover our ancient future and craft legends through fire and flight.

This is a night of trance...
# 3
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
05/30/2007 8:13 pm
I recently go a Dean that came with a licensed (swapped it for an original :D ) and tuning/restring get a little easier with every try. Make sure the strings are streched out before you lock down the nut and also, like poontang said, lock them all down at once. Basically though, the tension from the strings has to be the same as the tension of the springs.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 4
Gargy
Gargy
06/02/2007 8:10 pm
Or you could do what I did... buy one guitar with a Locking tremolo (In my case, an Ibanez pro-line Flying V) and then promise yourself within a matter of days to never own another guitar with a locking tremolo ever again.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.