View post (Keyboard amps?)

View thread

jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
05/19/2007 9:15 am
Well, I've now got loads of dough to spend on a new amp.

BUT.

My younger sister, who shares my amp at the moment, wants me to buy a keyboard amp for both of us to share, because she plays keyboard and guitar in a high-school garage band. I have a few reservations about this:

-I don't know what keyboard amps sound like for guitar, ie. whether it's possible to dial in a decent sound with one, and whether they are appropriate for effects and distortion;

-I may be moving out of home before the year's end, which would mean that either my sister would keep the amp and I'd have to buy another one, or that I'd keep it and be left with something that might be inferior to a proper guitar or bass amp; and

-This one's perhaps quite selfish of me :(, but I am thinking that it's my money and I don't want to shell out possibly more than $1000 on gear that would be of more use to my sister than to me.

This got me thinking, and I wondered whether perhaps a guitar amp could also double as a keyboard amp. That way, we can both use it for the time being and get decent sounds out of it. Then I could take it with me upon moving out, give her the little amp that we're sharing at the moment, and let her save up for her own larger amp if she wants one.

So, my questions are:

-Is it possible to get a half-decent guitar sound out of a keyboard amp?
- Failing that, can a guitar amp double as a keyboard amp?

Thanks very much!
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>